Gun/compressor combo

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Gun/compressor combo

Post by Mulcheese » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 pm

I will be starting my prep for the painting of the van in the neext couple of weeks. I have located most supplies and i have a gun question. I never realized how small my compressor was until yesterday (4.9cfm @40psi). I know that most guns are rated 10-13 cfm and they will run this compressor hot. I did find this gun at HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high ... 47016.html
It exceeds the compressor a bit (6 CFM @ 40 PSI) but I think I can work with it.

How would this gun work on painting the entire van? Would it take WAY to long?

If this gun works I could paint the van myself for about $550 (single stage urethane).
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Gun/compressor combo

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 pm

I just bought and used a Eastwood low psi HVLP gun that works great. Kit came with two pots too plus two tips of 1.2 and 1.8. This gun only uses 10 psi so my compressor never ran low. You have to thin the paint correctly to spray but that's a given.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm not a fan of using single stage paint. If you get runs or sags, you don't have much in the way of remedies for it. I don't think two stage would be all that much more expensive, and you get to hone your skills on the color coat before you move on to the clear coat.

Just my opinion though.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Single stage is easy to color sand to fix any drips or sags and you can then polish it to a high gloss....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:15 am

Bleyseng wrote:Single stage is easy to color sand to fix any drips or sags and you can then polish it to a high gloss....
Getting harder to do at Sherwin Williams. Sherwin Wiliams lied, lied I tell ya, when I asked for proper acrylic enamel. I told them that the California paint I got was terrible because it has to be water-based or something.
"Not here in Florida," they promised.

Same crap. It applies lovely. It dries poorly and fogs. Does not take well to color sanding. I need a real paint with volatile solvents.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Colin, maybe talk to the people at Space Age Auto Paint in Mesa on your way through Arizona later this year. That place was awesome...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Single stage is easy to color sand to fix any drips or sags and you can then polish it to a high gloss....
I used PPG top of the line single stage when I repainted my 67 bug. I had a pretty good run on the roof. I didn't worry about and said I'll simply sand it down and buff.. When I leveled it out, the color was way off.. Apparently the "cream" and color of the paint rises to the top. I was not happy after spending $500 for the gallon of paint w/reducer and hardener.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:42 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
I used PPG top of the line single stage when I repainted my 67 bug. I had a pretty good run on the roof. I didn't worry about and said I'll simply sand it down and buff.. When I leveled it out, the color was way off.. Apparently the "cream" and color of the paint rises to the top. I was not happy after spending $500 for the gallon of paint w/reducer and hardener.
Ouch.

I did a pile of light coats (three or so) then my last coat was medium. I had spray cans that were seriously variable in hue, but by spraying with two cans in a chevron pattern, I was able to "average" out the variations. I did not experience "cream/color" striations and posit that your coats were a bit heavy?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Ouch.

I did a pile of light coats (three or so) then my last coat was medium. I had spray cans that were seriously variable in hue, but by spraying with two cans in a chevron pattern, I was able to "average" out the variations. I did not experience "cream/color" striations and posit that your coats were a bit heavy?
Colin
My temporary homemade paint booth in my garage would of benefited greatly by adding more lights. Where the paint sagged was down the back of the roof, next to the rear window. I simply didn't see how heavy I was spraying the paint w/my paint gun. The next morning, I sanded the roof back down and re-taped the car. I shot the roof again. Right as I was done, moisture dripped out of my paint gun and fell on the roof. Talk about a buzz kill. Like they say, the third time is a charm. I bought a better moisture cartridge for the air hose, made double sure I drained ALL the air out of the compressor and shot the roof again. This time, all was good.

I had to go buy some more supplies. I talked to the guys at the PPG Auto paint shop about my experiences with the run. They said they had not heard of that before. I did read other folks having the same issue on other forums with the same paint I used.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.