I am an idjit, officially

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

I am an idjit, officially

Post by rallybug » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 pm

So, having been driving Harvee for barely a month since Colin helped me get him running, I went to gas up to see how he was doing economy-wise.

I turned into the gas station, then towards the pumps and had a brainfart, turning in too quickly:

As you can imagine, happiness did NOT ensue..

Still, good job there are guard posts there, rather than me taking out the pump itself, I suppose. The red paint is from the post, rather than the underlying Brilliant Orange. The green paint that the first owner put on in the 80s or 90s appears to have been pretty good quality as it hasn't come off.

So, I may have to learn how to remove dents :blackeye:

I now bow to the inevitable taking of the mickey.

At least Harvee is still running well, and we might even be able to get in one camping trip before the season closes.
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re: I am an idjit, officially

Post by Boxcar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:57 am

Mmmeh. Sorry.
They are called "Bollards" in architectural circles.

I once crashed (ok rubbed)my Ford Econoline into The 75 Westy. Now the Econoline is gone.:-)

Good luck with dent erasing. You seem very good at getting ! :-) :-) them
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 am

This is your friend.

Pull the big stuff out with the puller and go thin with the body filler. =D>

(BTW it's called a stud welder with a slide hammer.)
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 am

hercdriver wrote:This is your friend.

Pull the big stuff out with the puller and go thin with the body filler. =D>

(BTW it's called a stud welder with a slide hammer.)
We got a hack write-up here on simple hack body work by the local hack.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

69doublecab
I'm New!

Post by 69doublecab » Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 am

IF and a big IF, you can reach the back side you might just get most of that out with PDR.
PDR is the greatest skill. One must actually work the dent back out from the inside, working last to first in undoing the damage. You have to use shiny ball tipped tools and gently and repeatedly push the metal past the original position till when you actually get the metal warm. The subsequent cooling will then shrink the metal slightly. And apparently this even works on aluminum.
There is a youtube video out there where a guy removes a dent from a Vintage Ferrari and leave it perfect. If he did not get paid $15k for that hour he was being too timid.
There is a lot to learn and one must go slowly and in logical manner. Absolutely necessary to be able to see metal move as you work it. To this end, they have special lights and clamp on targets with parallel lines that will reflect on the metal surface.
Especially if you are working on original paint, it seems the best approach to cause the least additional trauma in making the repair. Even if it turns out you need to make some paint repair, as in your case.
Al Brase

69doublecab
I'm New!

Post by 69doublecab » Wed May 27, 2015 1:22 am

Oh, BTW, I've done the damage part also. Only 25 years driving them and still I do not swing wide enough!
Still, I did have some driving experience driving an old Corvette. In that car you can reach out the window and touch the tire also. But it it is the REAR tire, not the front.
Al Brase