A few very basic questions about paint/minor body work

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

A few very basic questions about paint/minor body work

Post by thesamwise4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 am

Hello,

My bus is, for the most part, in good shape. There are a few places that I would like to touch up, as in:

and

and finally

The problem is that I have no experience doing this kind of work and find it a little intimidating. I read Colin's very helpful sticky, titled Bodywork on the Fly, and that made me think that, if I just went slowly and followed instructions carefully, I could tackle some of these smaller problems. I am not interested in having a show bus, I just want to protect what I have from rust and have it look nice (not perfect--just nice).

But I keep hitting basic stumbling blocks, so I figured I would ask you all for a little help. Here are my questions:

1.Other than sandpapers of varying grit (as explained by Colin in the sticky), I am under the impression that I may need:

a. primer
b. paint
c. brushes

Based on the pics above, does it look like I will need filler? If so, what kind should I use?

2. Is there a specific kind of primer that is recommended for these kinds of applications?

3. How do I go about getting the right paint? Should I order the paint from a place like this: http://www.apstowerpaint.com/index.php ?

Or should I go to a body shop?

4. Do I want to get spray can or paint that is applied with a brush?

Either way, can I just order the color code for the bus (L63H)?

I know that these are total newbie questions, but I've never dealt with this before, so I really appreciate your patience/insight. I feel like I'm paralyzed by all of the options.

Thanks.
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: A few very basic questions about paint/minor body work

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 am

thesamwise4 wrote:I read Colin's Bodywork on the Fly, and I could tackle some of these smaller problems. But I keep hitting basic stumbling blocks,
I may need:
a. primer
b. paint
c. brushes

1. Does it look like I will need filler? If so, what kind should I use?

2. Is there a specific kind of primer that is recommended for these kinds of applications?

3. How do I go about getting the right paint?

4. Do I want to get spray can or paint that is applied with a brush?

Either way, can I just order the color code for the bus (L63H)?

I know that these are total newbie questions, but I've never dealt with this before, so I really appreciate your patience/insight. I feel like I'm paralyzed by all of the options.
1. If you have just scratches in the paint but not gouges in the sheetmetal, no.
If there are little dents in the sheetmetal, sure get a little bondo/hardener or some spot putty. Have fun! Experiment!

2. Extra-fillable grey primer so you can build up the surface, then sand it down smooth.
WalMart sells it for cheep-enuff.

3. Good luck with THAT. Forget online, you need a human being with a love of the craft and the thrill of the Match, and a quiet day. Sherwin Williams or a local auto paint store should make a batch of 3 spray cans, or you could get a can of lquid if you want to brush it on and color sand it back down.

4. You answer that. But experiment and have fun. If you screw up, grab a paper towel and some carb spray and wipe your disaster right off followed by a fast wax. I use brushes from Prang watercolor paint sets where I just wanted the pigments but needed more professional small brush tips than the Prang-supplied mops.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Re: A few very basic questions about paint/minor body work

Post by thesamwise4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer those questions, Colin.

I found a Sherwin Williams Automotive across the river in Fairfax. I'm going to cruise over this week and see if they can help me out.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Also, I noticed that my status recently changed from "I'm New!"

:cheers:
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern