I think I need a new hot start relay

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

I think I need a new hot start relay

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Coming home from a great campout this weekend, I made a stop to take the kids for a quick swim in the Cache la Poudre River. Pretty hot day, 90+. Got back in the bus to make the final stretch home, turned the key, and got the "nothing" that screams hot start problem. Shorted the solenoid, and got the starter to spin. Hopped in, turned the key, and the engine started right up.

Now, I installed a Bosch hot start relay from Bus Depot many years ago. It appears to be dying. I have read of folks using a relay from an old Ford. Can someone please give me some specifics on exactly what type of Ford relay I should be looking for? Should this be a boneyard hunt? Guidance appreciated!

-Bret
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: I think I need a new hot start relay

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm sure they're referring to a Ford starter solenoid. A $10 or lees part at any parts store. Used on every ford from the 60's up till about, well my 89 Mustang still has one....it's total overkill as you only need a relay to provide hot 12V to the little terminal and this will handle the current thru the BIG wire. The Borsch relay is really better and also commonly available.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 pm

bretski wrote: I installed a Bosch hot start relay from Bus Depot many years ago. It appears to be dying.
Don't be too quick to blame the relay, especially if it is located underneath near the starter. Do please go check its power source/destinations for clean connections, and the starter terminals and battery posts and all. Many years, you know?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:09 am

Yes, check the connections. Loose stakons is common after a few years.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:40 am

Never, in my 35 years of aircooled VW ownership, have I heard of anyone replacing their add-on starter relay.

Sure, it's possible, but....

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Okee-dokee. I will check and clean all of the connections before throwing parts at the problem. I think I installed the relay around 1999, so it's been "under the bus" for a while now...

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:22 pm

if it's been unprotected sitting under the bus all that time and hasn't failed yet - id buy a spare to carry with you for when it does.

the hard start relay in my 81 would only make it about 2 years before failing on average. bosch brand or otherwise, same results. ideally we would move these up into the engine compartment and out of the elements.
1979 California Transporter

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 am

airkooledchris wrote:if it's been unprotected sitting under the bus all that time and hasn't failed yet - id buy a spare to carry with you for when it does.

the hard start relay in my 81 would only make it about 2 years before failing on average. bosch brand or otherwise, same results. ideally we would move these up into the engine compartment and out of the elements.
I think the point is to have them near the starter to keep the wire run short.
Mine isn't a bosch, but it is enclosed in a plastic molded type case. I have never had one go bad, a couple of them are over 6 years old. I have had the Sta-con push connectors get loose and it would seem like the relay would be failing, I would just squeeze it closed a bit so it would fit tighter.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:12 pm

airkooledchris wrote:if it's been unprotected sitting under the bus all that time and hasn't failed yet - id buy a spare to carry with you for when it does.

I blobbed mine with RTV RTV RTV to make it weather-proof. I hate when these relays engage the starter without my consent when the engine is at 4,000 rpm.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Ah! Maybe a difference with Type IV vs. Type 1. Mine is dry and snug as a bug. Maybe that is why it lasts.

(My starter relay that is. I don't what Colin is referring to, but now we all know that he slathers RTV on it)

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm

I think mine is up along the firewall, where Colin helped me install it. Dry and snug as a bug too.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

:cyclopsani:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 pm

I saw this one on TS, looks pretty well made.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1119538
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:09 am

sailorkh wrote:I saw this one on TS, looks pretty well made.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1119538
That looks nicely made. Seller has good reviews, too. I might get this as a backup, thank you.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:38 pm

i use a ford with 2 big and 2 little terminals on it. ask the oldest guy behind the counter for it. if his eyes glaze over, find another flaps.
i even have one on my yard tractor.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.