1978 bus (left rear tail light and side blinker)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

1978 bus (left rear tail light and side blinker)

Post by khargis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:15 pm

hello folks, i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to re-wiring my left rear tail light and rear side light correctly. there was some corrosion, so i cleaned all terminals and replaced any bad terminals, but now it is time to put back together. i guess this should be easy, but i could use some helpful direction. always appreciated ya'll, kh
'slow n' steady'

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: 1978 bus (left rear tail light and side blinker)

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:15 am

Can you look at the left side for comparison?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1978 bus (left rear tail light and side blinker)

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 am

If you have a Bentley, there are wire colors listed at the reverse lights, tail lights, brake lights, and turn indicators.

Turn indicator lamps are wired with black/white on left, black/green on right..... if my memory serves me. Reverse lights are black wires. There is a harness that brings left over to the right across the top of the engine compartment. This harness enters into the housings at the top. I think brake lights are black with red tracers. The taillamp wires have double skinny spades, grey with red tracer for the right, grey with black tracer for the left taillamp with straight blacks going to both rear side markers. The rear lamps and side markers are grounded at the sides of the engine hatch opening.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles