Starter install help - 76 bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Starter install help - 76 bus

Post by poptop tom » Wed May 25, 2011 12:25 pm

I received my Made in South Africa Bosch solenoid yesterday. Put it on the starter and
got the starter mounted. D bolt is in with its hardware, as is the bottom nut.

But for the life of me, I cant figure a way of getting a torque wrench down on the upper case/starter bolt
to get it torqued to the 22 ft. lbs. it needs.

Tips?
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Starter install help - 76 bus

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 am

poptop tom wrote:I received my Made in South Africa Bosch solenoid yesterday. Put it on the starter and

But for the life of me, I cant figure a way of getting a torque wrench down on the upper case/starter bolt

Tips?
Did we not address this issue? You can torque a nearby nut to 21 ft/lbs, then use the same wrench you will use on the starter to make the above one move just a bit. Remember the amount of force required to make it move. Bring the memory over to the starter nut and tighten to the same amount. Relax, it is not an uber critical connecting rod stretch-bolt.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Re: Starter install help - 76 bus

Post by poptop tom » Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:I received my Made in South Africa Bosch solenoid yesterday. Put it on the starter and

Tips?
Did we not address this issue? You can torque a nearby nut to 21 ft/lbs, then use the same wrench you will use on the starter to make the above one move just a bit. Remember the amount of force required to make it move. Bring the memory over to the starter nut and tighten to the same amount. Relax, it is not an uber critical connecting rod stretch-bolt.
Colin
Address which issue? :scratch: So many issues! Anyhow, I needed some reinforcement on doing it that way. It's all torqued and ready for action! I probably could have removed the throttle body to get the torque wrench directly on, and I was willing to do that, if so instructed.

Now I need delivery of the reman. alternator. Once installed, I should be roadworthy enough for a Colin visit, and some driving in the meantime. Thanks for the reply Colin!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"