alternator overcharge

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

alternator overcharge

Post by dingo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 pm

basically I have way high overcharge 15-16V. from what i have read on Bosch style'B' t he options are bad regulator or badly grounded regulator...this is the third regulator im on and same symptoms..so i assume therefore..that somehow im losing the ground

So regulator to Alt DF(green),D+(red), D- (brown)....i assume that the brown wire is grounded WITHIN the alt?

is it grounded thru a brush assy ? or simply to the case of the Alt ?

id like to figure this out before undertaking removal procedure

ok. i measured continuity between D- (brown wire) and case of Alt and it shows 0.1 ohm...so its all connected. My question is then, since the alt. is grounded to the engine block and chassis....why do they bother running a wire to the internals of the alt? why not bolt it to the case ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: alternator overcharge

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

dingo wrote: i assume that the brown wire is grounded WITHIN the alt?
is it grounded thru a brush assy ? or simply to the case of the Alt ?

ok. i measured continuity between D- (brown wire) and case of Alt and it shows 0.1 ohm...so its all connected. My question is then, since the alt. is grounded to the engine block and chassis....why do they bother running a wire to the internals of the alt? why not bolt it to the case ?
D- is fully grounded when off, but I believe it moderates the magnetic field in the rotor for output control when running. Yes, it would go through a brush. Alternator does need a good ground for the case as well.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm

thanks.

i found this:

* Alternators with type "A" circuits have an externally grounded field. One brush is connected to positive battery voltage, and the regulator switches between field and negative to control output.

* Type "B" circuits have an internally grounded field with one brush connected to battery negative and the regulator switching between field and positive to control output.

overcharge: The cause is usually a defective voltage regulator or poor regulator ground connection.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm

for those concerned or curious about the inner workings of the Alternator Voltage Regulator:

REGULATOR

The regulator has two inputs and one output.

The inputs are the field current supply and the control voltage input

The output is the field current to the rotor.

The regulator uses the control voltage input to control the amount of field current input that is allow to pass through to the rotor winding.

If the battery voltage drops, the regulator senses this, by means of the connection to the battery, and allows more of the field current input to reach the rotor, which increases the magnetic field strength, which ultimately increases the voltage output of the alternator.

If the battery voltage goes up, less field current goes through the rotor windings, and the output voltage is reduced.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 am

dingo wrote:for those concerned or curious about the inner workings of the Alternator Voltage Regulator:
Thanks for this. I love how the laws of electromagnetism have been so useful .
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 am

i tried another Bosch regulator i had lying around...im still getting very high output 16V...with the occassional jump down to low, then back up to high

its a brand new battery...so that eliminates the possibility of weak or old battery being the cause

hmmm :scratch:
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm

dingo wrote:i tried another Bosch regulator i had lying around...im still getting very high output 16V...with the occassional jump down to low, then back up to high

its a brand new battery...so that eliminates the possibility of weak or old battery being the cause

hmmm :scratch:
Something is completing the field circuit without the the regulator's consent, chafed wire? grounding between the rotor and the case? insulation failure in the windings? I had a rotor fail to ground that left the idiot light on when the engine was running and off when the ignition was on with the engine not running.
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:02 pm

If the battery voltage drops, the regulator senses this, by means of the connection to the battery, and allows more of the field current input to reach the rotor, which increases the magnetic field strength, which ultimately increases the voltage output of the alternator.

so maybe the regulator is getting a False low-reading about the state of the battery, and thus tries to constantly increase output ??

my question is how to measure what the V-Reg is seeing, as opposed to 'what-is'

sort of like the feedback loop of vacuum leaks causing the 02 sensor to get False 'lean' and thus ask the ECU to richen
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:12 pm

B+ terminal on the reg is what it sees, IIRC.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Reg sees B+ ? how is that.?..it only receives D+, DF, D-

My idiot light behaves completely normally.

One test i have yet to do is: Volt drop between B+ Starter and B+ Alt..but it said to do it with engine idling and alt under load. But how do i access B+Alt ?? (whilst idling)

the D- is still a mystery to me...inspecting the innards of my spare alt, i see that D- arrives internally to a terminal that is soldered to the metal bracket which is bolted to chassis of the alt...which i assume is grounded to the engine block. Why not just grounded externally ?

ok..so it seems that B+ becomes D+ and that feeds batt. status to the reg, which in turn, after electrical extrapolation, sends its variable output V down DF to prompt alt. to produce its own varying output
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:03 am

I mean D+ on most regs. Mine says B+ though I think. Anyway, the wire that charges to battery is what it looks at. When it goes high, the contacts slow their vibration and that cuts the average voltage/current to the field coil.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:01 am

with Ign Off and Reg connected: D+ reads 0.0 V
with Ign On and Reg connected: D+ reads 1.1 V [ is this too low ?? i dunno]

with engine running, reg connected: DF reads 16V (approx)
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 am

Again, only going by memory on the terminals, DF should read battery voltage when running. If it sees only 1.1 volts it will crank DF up to the maximum voltage trying to get the D+ output up to charging voltage. Sounds like the cuftoff function inside the reg is bad. Like an open diode. Assuming the ground to the regulator and alternator is good that is.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:49 pm

makes sense..tho ive tried 3 different regulators (not new ones...so the door of possibility is slightly open

how do i tell the difference between a 'good' ground and an 'ok' ground ??

edit: D- IS the ground...from what i can tell...thru the innards of the alternator, chassis, engine...a very circuitous route for no apparent reason.

I have tried adding a ground directly from reg D- to ground...makes no difference to outcome
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Mmmm 3 in a row with the same voltage readings? Tried grounding? Must be the Alternator then.