Generator Woes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Generator Woes

Post by asiab3 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 pm

Glad it's all coming together Bob!

I stockpile the solenoids from the Pomona Swap Meet. Usually I find a decrepit 30pict3 (sometimes 30pict2's have them) with missing parts and rusty hardware and offer the guy $5 for it, if it has a solenoid.

*Interrupting this message for an important broadcast!*
These "needle type" solenoids should have a CONICAL noise, not a "stepped" nose. (The stepped-nose solenoids go to the Brazillian Solex dual-carb knockoffs that have electric chokes but no CIS system.) ALL needle-type solenoids with conical noses require a base gasket, which is more like a cylinder of rubber with a metal collar that goes around it.

Exhibit A)

Without this collar gasket, the carb will experience a vacuum leak that changes with the operating temperature of the carb, the weather, and the condition of Kermit the Frog's marriage. Seriously, I chased my idle mixture around town for months until Colin pointed Chloe's out to me.
*Back to your intended reply*

I will pay up to $10 for a swap meet carb if it has the solenoid and gasket. J-Bugs and other fine Purveyors of Crap will sell a step-nosed solenoid to you, brand new! For only $29.99! Don't bother, it will not allow an idle on a 30pict2 or 30pict3. I will be extra vigilant in scouring Pomona Swap Meet for solenoids in December when I go. I have three spares stockpiled for my car and my mom's bug. Only one spare gasket in my collection. Rebuild kits USED to come with the gaskets. Dual carb buses need them too, so we have to fight JTauxe for them. :pirate:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.