1970 Bus Blinker Switch / Stalk Assembly

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

1970 Bus Blinker Switch / Stalk Assembly

Post by sped372 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:23 am

Oh, the things you wish you wouldn't have lived with.

We've had our bus about five years and the blinker switch assembly (just below the steering wheel) came with a massive wrap of electrical tape holding it in place. Everything worked it just looked like crap if you actually looked at it.

I know the assembly is getting expensive to replace, but yesterday I finally got brave enough to open Pandora's box - and got lucky. I unwrapped all the sticky old tape and found that its sole purpose was to keep the assembly from "spinning" on the steering column. Nothing was "broken" actually.

Separating the two halves of the assembly reveals a removable metal "C" that acts as a clamp to lock the unit in place on the column. Since nothing looked broken I assumed my "C" must have lost its clamp. I used my bench vice to deform it ever so slightly - making it a "(" by exaggeration - and put the whole assembly back together. Nice and snug now with no hideous tape.

Why didn't I do that earlier!?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: 1970 Bus Blinker Switch / Stalk Assembly

Post by Hippie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:28 pm

sped372 wrote: Why didn't I do that earlier!?
Why don't I do that now that I read how? :cheers:
No tape but it's got the spins.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:31 pm

No spinny, but suddenly, every time I use the signals, the fuse blows.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Since we're thread-piling... do any of you '70 (aka early bay) owners have this problem? In my wife's '70, the signals work great electrically, it's the mechanical action of the signal lever that's hinky. When you push or pull the lever to turn on the signals, nearly half the time the signal lever pops back to the neutral or off position. I've replaced the switch with a different used one (new ones are NLA) and it does the same thing. If you turn the steering wheel off of centered (left or right), it seems to make it better as the canceling mechanism is in a different location. This makes no sense and I'm pretty much just rambling now, but has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do, if anything, to correct it?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:33 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Since we're thread-piling... do any of you '70 (aka early bay) owners have this problem? In my wife's '70, the signals work great electrically, it's the mechanical action of the signal lever that's hinky. When you push or pull the lever to turn on the signals, nearly half the time the signal lever pops back to the neutral or off position. I've replaced the switch with a different used one (new ones are NLA) and it does the same thing. If you turn the steering wheel off of centered (left or right), it seems to make it better as the canceling mechanism is in a different location. This makes no sense and I'm pretty much just rambling now, but has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do, if anything, to correct it?
Take it apart and look for the spring over-center track in the plastic. That is what holds it in position whilst signalling. The cancelling tab overpowers the detent and lets the spring bring it back to off. Methinks judicious and craftspersonlike lubrication may help you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: 1970 Bus Blinker Switch / Stalk Assembly

Post by sped372 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 am

Hippie wrote:
sped372 wrote: Why didn't I do that earlier!?
Why don't I do that now that I read how? :cheers:
No tape but it's got the spins.
Do it! Report back - I'll feel better if I motivated someone else to fix it as well.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX