Spark Plugs

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Re: Spark Plugs

Post by JLT » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:35 pm

I just love to revive dead threads...

During a discussion with my VW peeps, one of them told me that the ceramics used on spark plugs these days is different from that used in days past, and doesn't hold up for the thousands of miles we were used to. He says that now he has to change his plugs every couple of years. Is that the experience of others on this forum?

And how long is a set of spark plug caps and wires expected to last? The ones on George are about seven years and maybe 35,000 miles old now, and I haven't noticed any issues, but am I skirting with disaster?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:38 pm

JLT wrote:I just love to revive dead threads...

During a discussion with my VW peeps, one of them told me that the ceramics used on spark plugs these days is different from that used in days past, and doesn't hold up for the thousands of miles we were used to. He says that now he has to change his plugs every couple of years. Is that the experience of others on this forum?

And how long is a set of spark plug caps and wires expected to last? The ones on George are about seven years and maybe 35,000 miles old now, and I haven't noticed any issues, but am I skirting with disaster?
I'm not sure about the plugs, as quality is all over the board in every category these days, but I just sent back a nice set of Bosch Type 3 (right angle) plug wires because 3 of the 4 wires resulted in constant misfires. I slapped some petrified scrap wires onto the engine and it ran like a dream. (This is on my uncle's bug restoration; we're learning so so quickly how many parts are not even fit to be given a parole period of trust.) If it was my bus, I would not change the plug wires unless you found one to be on its way out. I also used dirty old condensers because I find them to be more reliable. Your mileage may vary.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 pm

There simply continues to be more and more momentum building in regards to Bosch's lack of quality of late. The parts they still make for our old VW's in third world countries, with the cheapest labor they can find, is woeful to say the least. I've shared before how "cheap" their new generators are compared to what they made in the 60's and 70's in Germany. The brush springs are thin and flimsy crap compared to their old ones. The brush holder metal is thinner.. It's just a cheap version of what was once a solidly made component. Another poster on The Samba just installed one and already had to take it back.. I wish we could find the CEO of Bosch's email and send him a love note, not that he'd probably care..

VW people are realizing it is much better to get their original, quality made starters, alternators and generators that are now 40+ years old, refurbished vs. buying the craptastic versions made today. Bosch points with the wear block falling off them, condensers failing quickly. Their plug wires arcing when the wires are still almost new. It's just a gamble to buy any new parts that are not KNOWN to be good quality these days..

I won't buy anything Bosch these days unless it's NOS and made in the 60's or 70's..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Bosch points failed after 50k miles, the springy metal cracked.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat