'81 Westy God-Awful Electrical System

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: '81 Westy God-Awful Electrical System

Post by cegammel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I have no sparky whatsoever, even with everything hooked up (no radio at all, lights off). I have had the battery disconnected for the last couple of days. It is possible that my 30 minutes or so of driving wasn't enough to fully recharge after the fuel issue and multiple starting attempts that required. Also, I'm basing my drain issue on the indicator lights on the kitchen. I have not had any starting issues, so I may be overreacting. That battery lasted about a month hooked up before (indicator stayed green), and now the indicator drops to yellow in about 48 hours of not running (as far as I can tell, just the indicators and dash clock stay on, and those should be minimal).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 pm

cegammel wrote:I have no sparky whatsoever, even with everything hooked up (no radio at all, lights off). I have had the battery disconnected for the last couple of days. It is possible that my 30 minutes or so of driving wasn't enough to fully recharge after the fuel issue and multiple starting attempts that required. Also, I'm basing my drain issue on the indicator lights on the kitchen. I have not had any starting issues, so I may be overreacting. That battery lasted about a month hooked up before (indicator stayed green), and now the indicator drops to yellow in about 48 hours of not running (as far as I can tell, just the indicators and dash clock stay on, and those should be minimal).
Do a full overnight 2 amp trickle charge and base your observations on a hydrometer.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Yeah..seems fine now. We'll see what happens in a few days.