Late Bus Rear Running Light

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Late Bus Rear Running Light

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:30 pm

My passenger side running light wasn't working, the rear and the side one. I took the taillight housing out and found out I wasn't getting any juice from the white wire with the red stripe. Checked all the fuses, even took them out and sanded the contacts. Still nothing.

However, in my taillight housing there was another white wire with a red stripe. This one was cut off and dangling. Checked it and sure enough it's live. Hooked it up to the running light and it worked fine.

Question, what is this second white wire with a red stripe for? Is what I did o.k. to do? Any other ideas on figuring out why the original white wire w/red stripe went kaput?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:51 pm

Looked at the Bentley and TS's wiring schematics and...

It seems that the wire is really gray w/ red stripe and it feeds the running lights, rear and side and the license plate light. So should be ok, but why the original connection went dead is troubling.

PS: Thanks for nothing!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:14 pm

If memory serves me correctly the two gray/red wires go to one spade connector in the tail light housing ( 2 wires into 1 connector). One is power and the other goes to the side marker to power it. Probably the power one broke off the connector from 30 some years of vibration and corrosion.

Bill