Parts: Known to be Acceptable

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Parts: Known to be Acceptable

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 pm

I'd like to add some Wolfsburg West parts that I have run through the ringer for three years now:

Early bay (late split?) tail light assemblies. They turned two years old around my appointment last year, and in the shade Colin asked if my running lights were on. They're that reflective! (Much more than tin foil..) I pulled them this week for an engine compartment cleaning and they still looked brand new inside. The bulb terminals were not corroded at all (and no grease either! Shame on old me,) and they're a great fit too. They even have correct drain holes!

4-pin flasher relay for semi-early bay. Some early early buses have 9-pins or something? Anyway, the 4-pin relay has correct terminal numbers, correct terminal sizes, and it mounts into the stock relay location wihle maintaining the stubborn bends of my old wires so there isn't any unnecessary strain.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Re: Tracer wire

Post by Psucamper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 pm

I have had occasion to re-wire both buses and beetles and have decried the lack of availability of tracer wires for VW's in reasonable lengths. There are vendors who have tracer wires but sell only in bulk (e.g. Wurth). I have found an excellent source for our vehicles available in a minimum of 10ft lengths.These wires are cut from spools so any length is Ok. The color range is huge as are the tracer color combinations and patterns. Gauges are from 18 awg to 6 awg. My work did not include complete harness building,only under dash and engine /lights fixing and upgrading. Their prices are good and sell by the foot. I hate to get an electrically hacked car with odd colored wires that make circuit tracing a nightmare. The available wires a not always identical to the original OG, but they are very close and often identical The company is: Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc. Their site is http://www.riwire.com/

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Psucamper, thanks for the information.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:40 pm

asiab3 wrote:Psucamper, thanks for the information.
Yes! I have a customer in Tennessee who needs to re-wire the main loom in the engine compartment, and proper tracers would make it a fun task versus a painful one.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles