'74 Bus No Turn Signals Or Emergency Flashers

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Emily's Owner
Old School!

'74 Bus No Turn Signals Or Emergency Flashers

Post by Emily's Owner » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:43 pm

I haven't driven the bus in a week (1974 transporter) and I don't seem to have turn signals or emergency flashers (the turn signal stalk has been loose for many years now and the self cancel doesn't cancel). I've checked the fuses, replaced that plug in flasher box, no dice. So I pulled the dash and noticed that the (I don't have technical words since I haven't the vaguest idea what goes on back there) cap that all the wires attach to had popped away from the emergency flasher switch housing. So I pushed it back together and it sparked while I did it. Now, the turn signals and the emergency flashers still don't work, my alternator/battery idiot light stays on, my gas gauge doesn't register (needle stays down at empty), what did I screw up when I sparked that switch? The alternator? My husband believes I screwed up the alternator with the spark, which is why the idiot light is lit.

I have no idea what I'm doing (obviously), and am worried that I've made it worse by pulling the instrument panel.

Suggestions?
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:09 pm

Maybe the emergency flasher switch got fried? I don't think you fried the alternator, the light will go on if certain "paths" are broken.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '74 Bus No Turn Signals Or Emergency Flashers

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:33 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:the self cancel doesn't cancel
I pushed it back together and it sparked while I did it.
Now, the turn signals and the emergency flashers still don't work, my alternator/battery idiot light stays on, my gas gauge doesn't register (needle stays down at empty),
A) Fix the self cancel by pulling the switches up to just under the steering wheel. When the switches drop, the self-cancel tab can't reach the switch. Carefully snug the switches to the steering column jacket tube whatever.

B) Make sure the e-flasher is reassembled correctly or get a replacement.

C) I believe you will find that you merely blew a fuse to the instrument cluster. Check owners manual for which one and hopefully it will verify the one you find melted when you look at the fuse box.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: '74 Bus No Turn Signals Or Emergency Flashers

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:22 am

Amskeptic wrote:C) I believe you will find that you merely blew a fuse to the instrument cluster. Check owners manual for which one and hopefully it will verify the one you find melted when you look at the fuse box.
Colin
I agree. Looking at the wiring diagram, fuse #11 sure looks like a likely culprit for the new problems you're having. Sometimes the fuse "looks" good, but you need to take it out of the fuse box and use an ohm meter to verify that it really is good.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:25 am

Fuses are cheap, it's a good idea to replace them every few years. Sometimes the connector metal tabs where the fuses sit gets dirty or tarnished, needing a good clean.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:03 pm

I pulled the instrument panel (first time ever for me) and found that the hazard switch is in two pieces, so I'll be scrounging one or buying new if that doesn't work. How easy is it to get it apart? I noticed Bus Boys sell a $22 tool that is supposed to make the job easy...If I'm careful, can't I just pry it apart and install the new one?
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:40 pm

This sounds like what you need.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... %2D233%2D2

The switch is all one piece (or at least is supposed to be!) I'm thinking the tool you spoke of is to remove the little escutcheon screw that holds it in the dash. I couldn't find it Bus Boys site, but is it like this?

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail. ... oduct=6671

It sounds like you've already tried to "re-assemble" the existing switch with little success so perhaps it's time to replace it. The emergency flasher switch is integral to your turn signals working so until you get this squared away, your turn signals won't work either.
- Dick

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Set the top back onto the switch and take a zip tie and wrap around the switch. Pull it tight and see if your flashers work. If they do you can use it like that till you can get yourself a new one. I've heard of others doing this and having it work for them. I've never personally done it.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:56 pm

dtrumbo wrote:This sounds like what you need.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... %2D233%2D2

The switch is all one piece (or at least is supposed to be!) I'm thinking the tool you spoke of is to remove the little escutcheon screw that holds it in the dash. I couldn't find it Bus Boys site, but is it like this?http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail. ... oduct=6671
Yup, that's it. I have a used switch speedily coming from a fellow forumite - it should do the job, if not I'll buy a new one.
Margaret

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:31 am

The slotted escutcheon, behind the knob, holds the switch in place. You can get it off using a pair of needle nose pliers held slightly open to fit in the slots, or a pair of flat screwdrivers crossed over each other like scissors. Go gentle, it is easy to slip and poke yer eye out.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 pm

An ordinary table fork with center tine removed makes a good tool for switch removal.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:36 am

You can get it off using a pair of needle nose pliers held slightly open to fit in the slots...
I second this method, works fine.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 pm

My switch arrived today (Thanks marT/Tram), I haven't figured out what box my bus books are in (still not quite completely unpacked), so I assume it's pretty straightforward, yes?
Margaret

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:My switch arrived today (Thanks marT/Tram), I haven't figured out what box my bus books are in (still not quite completely unpacked), so I assume it's pretty straightforward, yes?
Let's not assume it is straightforward.

Disconnect battery. Consult your Bentley and look up the switch and make a mental note of the colors and terminal #s you'll be dealing with. Compare the info for your bus against the switch you have received. If all is parallel, yes, it is straightforward swapping out (with battery disconnected please). If there are terminal discrepancies, you can make discretionary calls, butchoobetterhaveagoodideerofwhatcherdoon.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:24 am

As usual, Colin's advice is spot-on. If you find there are differences between the switches and you get stuck, take a picture of both of the switches, post 'em on here and we'll guide you through it.
- Dick