1977 Westfalia - Turn Signal not clicking...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

1977 Westfalia - Turn Signal not clicking...

Post by cheesehead » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:24 am

The turn signal was working perfectly and all of a sudden it does not click. The dash light is steady and no tickticktick but the emergency flasher works fine. Hmmm any help grately appreciated. If the flasher and turn signal are on the same fuse then it would not be the fuse is this correct that they are on the same fuse?
Peace
Meg

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 am

Could just be a bad flasher. Also, check the bulbs to see that they both are lighting up with the turn signal and check the grounds. If the flashers are the same for hazard and signals swap them and see what happens.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 am

Make sure you don't have any turnsignal bulbs burned out.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Well I fixed the problem today but I have one more question about the fix. The problem was that the relay attached to the emergency flashers relay top was loose. Is it a top or should my relay be replaced? All the connections were good but the top seemed to be loose hmmm I hate the R&R of the dash plate(or whatever you call it) Lucky I have small hands to position those clips UGH! So it felt like the relay top "snapped" back on but is this correct? Also can someone tell me what wires go to that relay and the positions they are in please:) I may repost this to the other forum too I think it gets more traffic so to speak.
Peace
Meg

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:50 pm

What year/model do you have?? My crystal ball is cloudy......

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:06 am

1977 Westy:)

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:10 am

cheesehead wrote:1977 Westy:)
Ah, the best year! Good choice!

I have a similar situation with my relay. Every now and again my blinkers do the same thing as yours. I usually reach down and give the relay a wiggle and all is well again. I have a replacement relay and might just install it someday. The trouble surfaces so infrequently, I really don't worry much about it.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

jimjxsn
Getting Hooked!

turn signals not working

Post by jimjxsn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for this post cheesehead, it was most helpful. I had the same symptoms, my turn signals stopped working yet, my emergency flashers still worked fine. I jiggled the wires going into the flasher switch and the turn signals started flashing again.
'76 sunroof bus

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:48 pm

FWIW, I did finally get around to replacing the relay some time last year. Been trouble free ever since.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

rastafoo
I'm New!

Post by rastafoo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Ever since I have owned mine, both dash green arrows come on at the same time regardless of which way I am turning. The actual turn lights work all around, so I have just lived with it.
Also, my dash lights all go out when I pull the headlights from park to all the way on - since I have no turning dimming on the switch I believe the headlight switch itself is just bad.
He's NOT the messiah - he's a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!

rastafoo
I'm New!

Post by rastafoo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Also, does anybody have a drawn - out diagram for the dash plate clusters for a 73 Bay? Like what wire goes where and where it comes from? I can't read/understand the bently electrical diagrams for 72-79. I need actual drawings of the components and wires in a realistic setting of right to left.
He's NOT the messiah - he's a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm

rastafoo wrote:Ever since I have owned mine, both dash green arrows come on at the same time regardless of which way I am turning. The actual turn lights work all around, so I have just lived with it.
That's how it was designed to work.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:57 pm

rastafoo wrote:Also, does anybody have a drawn - out diagram for the dash plate clusters for a 73 Bay? Like what wire goes where and where it comes from? I can't read/understand the bently electrical diagrams for 72-79. I need actual drawings of the components and wires in a realistic setting of right to left.
Per your prior post, the VW flashes both turn indicator bulbs in the dash since forever. When they changed the idiot light set-up, do you suppose they gave "directionality" to the turn indicators? No. They use only one now.

There is no way I or anyone else is going to give you the blow-by-blow for all of the little wires that plug into the instrument cluster. That is like saying you want to play in the orchestra but can't read music.

The ladder diagrams in the Bentley are concise and informative. Go to the beginning of the chapter and read how to read them.

Let's say you are one stubborn cuss who refuses to learn anything new.
Follow this simple primer that should excite you at the prospect that your brain still works.
Go look in the long list of electrical items for your 1973 bus. August 1972 may be in the title. Look for "alternator warning lamp" labelled K2 I think. Now view sideways to the column that says "current track". You will see a 39, I believe. So, run along the bottom of the diagram until you hit the number 39. IS THIS NOT EASY? Now look up the current track of the diagram and you will see an x with a circle around it. That is the symbol for a lightbulb. It will be labelled K2. HOW EASY IS THAT?? HAH???? Follow the wire that keeps going up current track 39 and you will see an abbreviation like "bl". That means it is a BLUE wire. SAYS SO IN THE STUPID DIAGRAM. Follow it. It goes left along the top of the diagram and turns back south at current track 4. It started life at the C1 (voltage regulator in the list of electrical items). NOW COME ON. Notice that all of your other idiot lights are right there near K2. Looks like there is a K3 light that grounds out through a blue and green wire at the F1 oil pressure sensor, current track 35 or sumpin. See? HEY, if you had read the diagram, you wudda saw that there's two K5s teamed up together that go to the warnershgalterblinkenrin (emergency flasher switch) and the turnintotherighterinorlefterinblinkenglimmerblinken (turn signal switch). Go wade in the diagram. It is easy and fun and vastly superior to the earlier laid out spaghetti diagrams.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:05 am

Oh come on Colin...your reply was a little bit overly dramatic. Some folks do not easily get the diagrams in Bentley. The inquiry about a "plain language" version of the wiring diagrams was really not unreasonable.