Late Bus Spark Plug Wires Routing

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Late Bus Spark Plug Wires Routing

Post by tractoman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm

I have searched without finding the answer so here goes. I got new Bosch 09171 plug wires for my bus. I checked the resistance before installing them to be sure I am dealing with good wires. They seem within spec, by the way, with the 1k and 1.4k ohm insulators. The question is, is there a correct way for these to be installed and should the short and long insulators correlate with the shorter or longer wires? Are the 1k and 1.4k ohm wires supposed to be on specific cylinders or do I just put them on for the best fit? This has me puzzled.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Put them on for best fit. If you have a late bay, the sparkplugs are at different depth in the cooling tin. This is why there are short and long connectors. Good luck!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:40 am

The long connectors are for cylinders #2 and #4.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Late Bus Spark Plug Wires Routing

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:16 am

tractoman wrote:I have searched without finding the answer so here goes. I got new Bosch 09171 plug wires for my bus. I checked the resistance before installing them to be sure I am dealing with good wires. They seem within spec, by the way, with the 1k and 1.4k ohm insulators. The question is, is there a correct way for these to be installed and should the short and long insulators correlate with the shorter or longer wires? Are the 1k and 1.4k ohm wires supposed to be on specific cylinders or do I just put them on for the best fit? This has me puzzled.
You can both cut your cables to length and actually dress them such that they do not touch one another at any point on the engine. That is best.
Colin