'76 Westy Engine Makes Horrible Sounds At Startup

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 am

My engine made a screeching noise (like yours did briefly in that recording) right after I got it back from the engine builder and installed it. It screeched for 20 seconds or so, and then stopped. Little did I know at the time that it was the sound of the #4 main bearing at the fan end of the engine screaming in pain because it was not properly seated on its dowel pin when the case halves were reassembled. The bearing eventually locked up the engine, but only briefly!

Could it also be the oil pump gone bad?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Don't know about the oil pump. I feel so behind on VW knowledge it scares me.

My gut tells me its a bearing and there is a rebuild in the very near future for me. It kind of rattles the whole engine, you know what I mean? I suppose I need to pull that starter and rule it out. Then move on.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm

upnorthman wrote: I noticed that when cranking the engine to find TDC it would resist at a certain point and the belt would spin on the fan without 'catching'. I have still not pulled my starter!! I suppose I need to do this to rule it out eh?
...and rule out any alternator bearing issues by pulling the fan belt, otherwise we are speculating in circles.
Colin
(State of battery charge can slow down cranking quite a bit in Winter Michigan. My belt slips at every compression stroke when I turn the engine to do valve adjustments. I just put my thumb on the midpoint of the belt and push down hard to increase tension as I turn the alternator pulley. This is preferred, the alternator bearings last longer with a sort of loose belt)

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:56 pm

So to move forward:
1. pull starter- push start - listen - park on small hill
2. pull belt - push start - listen
3. depending on sound pull engine

I have a rebuild almost in the budget, almost. I would rather work on the front end this year, however.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 am

upnorthman wrote:So to move forward:
1. pull starter- push start - listen - park on small hill
2. pull belt - push start - listen
3. depending on sound pull engine

I have a rebuild almost in the budget.......almost. I would rather work on the front end this year, however.
1.) park on small hill, remove negative terminal from battery
2.) pull starter, reconnect battery - push start - listen -
3.) disconnect battery, reinstall starter reconnect battery
4.) pull belt -start engine- listen
5.) depending on sound pull engine
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:35 am

Thanks Colin,
Seeing how it feels like -20 degrees outside right now this may have to wait a little while. I will post here with results when the tests are complete.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Thu May 08, 2008 6:40 am

:bounce: Ohhhhh man I am so happy!

I went out to the bus with a fresh set of ears and some confidence that I was going to figure this out once and for all. I started her up and let it idle for a while with the lifters crying away. It warmed up and I got out a stick and really started poking around to see if I could pin down where the sound is coming from. Well I couldn't hear it very well on the left side of the engine and every time I got close to that damn alternator it was louder. Well, I pulled the belt (before the starter) and what do you know, the sound was gone!! :bounce: :bounce: I put the belt on again and the sound was back. Subsequently, the alternator was pulled and I took it in this morning to AIS (tractor place) the guy that is working on it just called me and said that I caught the bearing just in time. He said the brushes were just over half gone and he recommended replacing them while it's out.

The brushes are ordered and it will be done tomorrow!
The total will be $96
Not bad if I do say so myself.
Thanks Colin, I was convinced it was the worst and I was going to pull the engine for a rebuild. I can use the phat bus account for other very important things this summer. I know that the engine does need help, however. It is pretty unbalanced and compression is pretty low in one of the cylinders. I think it should have another summer of small weekend trips left in it though.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 08, 2008 10:12 am

upnorthman wrote:
Well, I pulled the belt (before the starter) and what do you know, the sound was gone!!
I can use the phat bus account for other very important things this summer. I know that the engine does need help, however.
Tole yoo. . . . . See you August 26th. Let me know how things develop over the summer. Keep oil up, temps low, and you'll do OK.
Colin