'77 Westy Keeps Blowing #8 Fuse!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

'77 Westy Keeps Blowing #8 Fuse!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Wed May 09, 2007 9:48 pm

My number 8 fuse blew out on me and now I can't even put one in there without it blowing (even with nothing on). As far as I can tell, that's the interior lights and the hazards? I know I've got a day of wire chasing ahead of me :cheers: but any idea where I should start looking?

It was fine yesterday...
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 pm

The thing with any electrical /wiring problem is always to start with the simple stuff first. It sounds like you're dealing with a short to ground. That will be caused when a "live" wire (i.e. one that is carrying current) makes contact with exposed metal on the chassis (i.e. ground). Remove your interior bulb or bulbs and see if a fuse still blows. Next unscrew one of the two door switches and pull it out of the frame. Inspect the connections and see if another fuse blows. Repeat for the other switch. A wire rarely fails. Usually it needs to be crushed or cut into to become a problem. Have you done anything recently that could have damaged a wire or two? The interior lighting circuit is one of the simplest in your Bus. You already know problem lies after the fuse panel, based upon your description. If all else fails, grab your Bentley, find the circuit diagram and begin to test for continuity between all the paths past the panel.

The most important tool here is patience.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sat May 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Any progress?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sat May 12, 2007 6:21 pm

Well, I spent a few hours following lines and seeing what's up (and blowing more fuses...) it all works OK if I remove the emergency flasher switch/relay. I just replaced it last year, so hopefully it doesn't need replacing. I did discover that the main battery line was connected to the #8 fuse - and as far as I can tell it's supposed to come in on the #9. Tomorrow I'll try futzing around some more and see what's up with the emergency flashers. It MAY be the fresh air fans which I believe are piggybacked onto the flasher power (I think) although it still blows even when nothing is on. I checked a bunch of grounds, found one that needed a new connector and fixed that.

So, I still have the same problem but found a few issues along the way to fix. (Isn't that always the way?)

While I had the fuse box out, I also wired in a little buzzer to remind me that the lights are on. It's annoying as hell, but that way I'll never leave the lights on!

I also discovered that the PO removed a relay which I believe to be the door buzzer. (fine with me!)
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun May 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Everything work ok with the emergency flasher relay pulled? Lights? Turn signals? If that be the case, you've got a lot less to troubleshoot. The key to tracking down an electrical trouble is divide and conquer. Find where things still work and move on to where they don't. No need to mess with bulbs, wiring's probably ok too. Hate to say it but it looks like you've already isolated the offending component. The relay.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sun May 13, 2007 3:06 pm

Well, everything works when I disconnect the power coming from the fuse to the relay. (the only line coming off the no8 fuse - when there's nothing connected, the fuse won't blow!:drunken: ) However, I think some power for something (ambulance fans perhaps?) comes off the relay. So I also need to try taking that off and seeing if the relay still blows the fuse. I ran out of fuses though! So a friend is bringing some more by later this afternoon.
then I'll see what's up...

Then I'll order another relay.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun May 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Good Luck!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sun May 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks!
Turns out it was the cigarette lighter. I replaced it last year and it was working fine, but something is up with it. It was taking power from the emergency flasher and when I pulled it off no more fuses popped!

So for now it's disconnected. Seems fitting with all the talk about quitting smoking. I only ever used it to charge my cell, so I won't really miss it. I'll fix it eventually, but there are more pressing fixes needed!

Thanks SO much for your help/support!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Glad to hear you found it. I hate it when it turns out to be a "me" caused problem. There are times I wonder if my bus would be happier if I just left her alone. Like that's gonna happen.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Good Job! It sounds like the lighter socket is shorted.
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.