Here we go again. 1980 Vanagon, stock, California - Parasites

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Here we go again. 1980 Vanagon, stock, California - Parasites

Post by SlowLane » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 am

cegammel wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 pm
27.17...Looks to be a totally different mounting setup, but the pulley looks like mine. 27.16 has the 45 and 65 amp models, and the pulley pictured is a one piece...
I'm about 97.23% certain that the 90 A alternator on page 27.17 is the one introduced with the wasserboxer.

The page states that this alternator was installed "starting in October 1982", which would have been a few months into the 1983 model year run. The wasserboxer was introduced mid-year 1983, usually referred to as "1983 1/2". I suspect that it wasn't exactly "1/2", but what were they going to call it: "1983 1/3", "1983 124/365"?

The pulley image on 27.16 is just plain wrong for the air-cooled Vanagon. It was probably copied from some other manual (Bentley does this often enough to be annoying. For example, the line drawings for the Vanagon CV joints are lifted from the photos used in the Beetle Bentley, and there are subtle differences in the two that make it confusing whan you're holding a Vanagon joint in hand and trying to figure out how to install it). The real air-cooled pulley and heater fan detail is a few pages later.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: Here we go again. 1980 Vanagon, stock, California - Parasites

Post by cegammel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Ooooooo....thanks for the info! I'll dig a little deeper then...