engine & ignition wiring harness replacement '82 Vanagon - help in San Diego?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: engine & ignition wiring harness replacement '82 Vanagon - help in San Diego?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 am

I'll be there "some time this summer" . . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

blauvelt
I'm New!

Re: engine & ignition wiring harness replacement '82 Vanagon - help in San Diego?

Post by blauvelt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Summer in San Diego can be quite pleasant.
Amskeptic wrote:I'll be there "some time this summer" . . . .
Colin

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 pm

What shop are you using now? Just wondering.........
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

blauvelt
I'm New!

Post by blauvelt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Pro Align of Morena Blvd. (tecolate canyon).

So far no luck, it wont run. Starts up runs a minute and dies. Wont restart for an hour or so. :angryfire:
MonoCone wrote:What shop are you using now? Just wondering.........

wanderer
I'm New!

Post by wanderer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 am

A few weeks ago I sent you a PM offering to donate/give you and send you at no cost, an extra ECU I had on hand.Its gone now as I donated it already. Did you check your inbox???

blauvelt
I'm New!

Post by blauvelt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 am

Good Morning,

No, I didn't see it. Thank you though! Will shoot you a PM.
wanderer wrote:A few weeks ago I sent you a PM offering to donate/give you and send you at no cost, an extra ECU I had on hand.Its gone now as I donated it already. Did you check your inbox???

blauvelt
I'm New!

Post by blauvelt » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:07 am

Friday morning update:

Nothing. Nada. "Everything checks out" and it still wont run more than a minute. He went to the garage and fished out the TC so atleast he will have a car to drive. Trying to convince him to put it in the garage till summer time. I know he is very frustrated, as we would all be.

wanderer
I'm New!

Post by wanderer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 am

Not sure why you didn't receive my PM ???, I double checked my out box and it doesn't appear there either. I have stockpiled parts and pieces for my own 82 Westy for quite a few years. Ill look to see if I have another ECU, AND if I do find one, I will send it out to you. In my ( mystery ) email I sent ( ??? ) I indicated I would send it out at no cost to you. In a bunch of box's I have, are parts Ive bought from VW shops who've gone out of business, or from sellers who sell parts from parted out Vans. Some of the parts Ive bought worked out just fine...others not so fine and that's to be expected when someone is parting out.

Give me a couple days next week to have a look see at what I may find. If I hit the jackpot, Ill let you know. In the meantime, have you contacted Bela's Foreign Car Repair ? Their located in Southern California. Ive no experience with them personally but the Vanagon Rescue Squad and Samba Members give them good reviews.

blauvelt
I'm New!

Post by blauvelt » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:55 am

Happy Friday!!

Will pass the shop onto my father, he is in San Diego, so may be a bit of a trek to Burbank. Did you PM it or email me last time?

Mulling this over, what system related parts can heat up and then in failure cause the engine to die. This part(s) would also have to show as checking out "good" when cold, so the failure mode has to effectively be spontaneous and not detectable except during that exact moment of failure?

1. Subject to heat? has to get warm to fail
2. Communication related? it sends a signal, or responds to a signal that says "change something".
3. Assuming the communication mechanism is fully functioning? (new wiring).

The following parts have not been replaced with new:
1. Air Mass sensor
2., Fuel pump
3. Fuel return valve.

As an aside, the fuel rail pressure is testing as fine for (have not checked for volume) as soon the engine dies, the fuel pressure has been checked.

Per the mechanic, he thinks the engine is shutting down due to a full lean situation (when it dies, it does not stink like fuel). His other observation is that the when he pulls the plugs, they are coal black, but that is probably attributed to the fact that the engine in start up mode is running rich and the plugs never get hot enough to burn off.
wanderer wrote:Not sure why you didn't receive my PM ???, I double checked my out box and it doesn't appear there either. I have stockpiled parts and pieces for my own 82 Westy for quite a few years. Ill look to see if I have another ECU, AND if I do find one, I will send it out to you. In my ( mystery ) email I sent ( ??? ) I indicated I would send it out at no cost to you. In a bunch of box's I have, are parts Ive bought from VW shops who've gone out of business, or from sellers who sell parts from parted out Vans. Some of the parts Ive bought worked out just fine...others not so fine and that's to be expected when someone is parting out.

Give me a couple days next week to have a look see at what I may find. If I hit the jackpot, Ill let you know. In the meantime, have you contacted Bela's Foreign Car Repair ? Their located in Southern California. Ive no experience with them personally but the Vanagon Rescue Squad and Samba Members give them good reviews.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:38 am

blauvelt, I am terribly sorry for not responding to your PM in a timely manner.

I won't be near San Diego until early March, but I am still happy to stop by and offer any help I can. Of course, this would be determined by the availability of the car. Is it still at a shop?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:43 am

I will give you a money-back guarantee to get it running correctly if it is not running right by the time I get out to San Diego. I have not yet been beaten by a Volkswagen.
Colin

blauvelt
I'm New!

Post by blauvelt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:49 am

It runs...there was a wiring issue, unfortunately, there were 2 mislabel wires on the loom. Also something else had failed (will find out). I fly out Thursday to see how it is going and to work on the TC which is having rear hub issues.
Amskeptic wrote:I will give you a money-back guarantee to get it running correctly if it is not running right by the time I get out to San Diego. I have not yet been beaten by a Volkswagen.
Colin

blauvelt
I'm New!

Post by blauvelt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Evening, do you have a schedule for SoCal this summer? Would like to book some of your time.
Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 am
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:25 am

blauvelt wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm
Evening, do you have a schedule for SoCal this summer? Would like to book some of your time.
Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 am
Colin

Look at the posted schedule 2017 Itinerary:

Aug 11 asiab3 ........................................ Newhall CA
Aug 13 tommu ..........................................Burbank CA
Aug 15 NYCynthia ..................................Los Angeles CA
Aug 21 Total Eclipse Chase ....................................OR?

If whatever bus I am using is fleet-of-foot, we might be able to do a 16th or 17th . . .
Colin