voltage reg (generator)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

voltage reg (generator)

Post by dingo » Mon May 18, 2015 6:02 pm

any ideas on what usually goes bad..? .US made one looks clean and i cleaned the contact points.....Perhaps replace the diode ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: voltage reg (generator)

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 am

dingo wrote:any ideas on what usually goes bad..? .US made one looks clean and i cleaned the contact points.....Perhaps replace the diode ?
What diode? Is there a zener diode in there? I remember only a current limiter and a voltage limiter comprising coils and contacts.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Tue May 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Some of the Bosch voltage regulators had a two-terminal device that Bosch called a "variode". It seems the name didn't catch on. It appears similar to a diode, but
I don't know if the similarity ends there or not. I have two 38A generator regulators, one with the variode and one without. It's a handsome thing, with a copper case.
See p. 98 at this Google Books link: https://books.google.com/books?id=SgJOw ... de&f=false

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 am

kreemoweet wrote:Some of the Bosch voltage regulators had a two-terminal device that Bosch called a "variode". It seems the name didn't catch on. It appears similar to a diode, but
I don't know if the similarity ends there or not. I have two 38A generator regulators, one with the variode and one without. It's a handsome thing, with a copper case.
See p. 98 at this Google Books link: https://books.google.com/books?id=SgJOw ... de&f=false
Thanks for your input. Page 98 is not available to me. I caught some p.99 however. Fascinating stuff, and I was not aware of how the temperature effects on the battery were so factored into the regulator output.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles