77 Westy Automatic Trans Reverse Light Problem

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

77 Westy Automatic Trans Reverse Light Problem

Post by thesamwise4 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Hello, all,

I've been trying to get my reverse lights to work for a bit now, and I've been having a lot of trouble.

I've read some conflicting things about the differences between getting reverse lights working when discussing a manual or an automatic trans, so I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I didn't see a switch on the transmission...

I've cleaned all terminals with a wire brush, made sure that all connectors are snug. All my fuses (including fuse #11, which the Bentley says is my reverse light fuse) look fine. I took a wire brush to the terminals in the fuse box just to eliminate any corrosion that might be there.

I have all my other lights except my reverse lights. They worked last year (when I got the vehicle inspected), but I've lost them now.

The bulbs look fine to me--no brown spots, no rattles, anything like that. Is there somewhere else I should look for a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 77 Westy Automatic Trans Reverse Light Problem

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 pm

thesamwise4 wrote: I didn't see a switch on the transmission...
(fuse #11, which the Bentley says is my reverse light fuse) look fine.
A switch on the transmission (manual) has its own reverse light fuse in the engine compartment.
If your Bentley says Fuse #11 is your reverse lights fuse, it means the switch is in the floor selector assembly as part of your "neutral safety switch". If your engine only starts in neutral and park, it is adjusted correctly enough for the reverse lights to function only in reverse. Consult the Bentley for wire colors and terminal designations.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ainokea
I'm New!

Re: 77 Westy Automatic Trans Reverse Light Problem

Post by ainokea » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:53 pm

It has been a few years since I tackled this, but, if I'm not mistaken the reverse lights work off the reverse position under the shift stick cover. I don't remember what's under there but that's where the problem lies. Ainokea