Switched power from the Engine bay

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aerosurfer
I'm New!

Switched power from the Engine bay

Post by aerosurfer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 am

Im wiring in an Innovate LC-2 and need to tap into switched power. Just ran 4 way trailer wiring up front for tach and oil pressure gauge so I have 2 more available wires, one of which will be for the A/F gauge. Instead of running power forward, can I tap off the Alternator light or blower motor? Been looking over my bentley diagrams, it would seem before the fuse for the blower motor would be a safe place to tap...

The instructions for the LC-2 says not to tap off Ignition or fuel pump
77 Westy deluxe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Switched power from the Engine bay

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:32 pm

aerosurfer wrote:Im wiring in an Innovate LC-2 and need to tap into switched power. Just ran 4 way trailer wiring up front for tach and oil pressure gauge so I have 2 more available wires, one of which will be for the A/F gauge. Instead of running power forward, can I tap off the Alternator light or blower motor? Been looking over my bentley diagrams, it would seem before the fuse for the blower motor would be a safe place to tap...

The instructions for the LC-2 says not to tap off Ignition or fuel pump
Fuse for the blower motor is hot at all times straight from the starter solenoid. Do not use.

The only switched power source available in the engine compartment is the black (15) ignition wire that goes to the heater relay and is then subsequently brought to the coil and double relay/reverse lights.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles