Old Radio Removal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Old Radio Removal

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am

Hiya, I finally ordered a new CD player/stereo to replace the dead tape deck in my bus. At one time, someone must have hacked the dash slightly to fit a single-din radio. The only trouble is, I can't seem to figure out how to release the radio from the retaining cage. It's pretty hard to see under the dash, complicating things. Any tricks to getting that guy to release? I was reading about some sort of wrench that you use, but I don't have one.
thank you!

Here is what the internets shouted at me, anything to add?
There is a locking mechanism on each side of the deck. You need a thin strong piece of metal (1/4" X 3") to push inward the locks and slide out the deck.
Two small metal nail files may work.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Old Radio Removal

Post by satchmo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes. Cut a couple strips of thin sheet metal about 4 inches long by 1/2-3/4 inches wide. Slide the strips along the sides of the radio between the radio and the cage. That should disengage the the locking fingers. Keep the strips in place and slide the body of the radio out.

You might have to wiggle things a bit, but this should work.

Good luck, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Old Radio Removal

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:47 am

If your radio has a detachable face plate, remove it. The slots mentioned above may well be hiding behind the faceplate. They may also be hiding behind a snap-on bezel surround piece of plastic doo-hickey. Worst case, if the tape deck/radio is already dead, brutish-force might be the last resort. German steel is no match for the flimsy crap the DIN cage and the radio are made of.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!