79 CA Hall Effect Ignition

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: 79 CA Hall Effect Ignition

Post by tristessa » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:33 pm

You want me to go knock on their door next week? They're about ten blocks from work, I could take an extended lunch break and see what's up....
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Tony says he made a connection just this morning (my luck, on the day I called!) - and that they think they will be able to get the parts. He doesn't know the timeline as he 'just established an account with them' - but will start working to relay the part numbers to them to see what they have available. I almost asked, again, to just send me whatever they have, but i'll give it another few weeks again.

If they still don't know anything at that point ill go back to insisting they just send over whatever they have. Part of me feels like a sucker for believing them again, but id never heard anything bad about them previously and my points setup has been working fine until now so whatever...
1979 California Transporter

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Mon May 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Here are the Bosch instructions to test the CA Hall Effect dizzy:

http://apps.bosch.com.au/AAExtranet_Tec ... R150-0.pdf

Seems the Hall sensor doesn't usually go bad, but the wires get crusty and break every 35-40 years. I just rebuilt mine using this kit:

http://autoplicity.com/3259077-bosch-ti ... aQod_nwAtA

Works great. Another 36 years? My bus was running great on Saturday, then I popped the distributor cap off Sunday morning and one of the wires to the harness connector broke from age. I ordered the rebuild kit Sunday night, received it Wednesday, had last Friday off and rebuilt it in the morning and it was running by 1pm. 5 days downtime :compress:
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue May 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Thank you Happyfolk for the PDF and link to the rebuild kit on the electronics.

I called Philbin just now and Tony answered the phone. Right away he said he just got a new connection on some parts for them, after which I said great - but just send me whatever you have in whatever state it is in - NOW. PLEASE. I gave my credit card details again.

FIngers crossed that i'll get it this time, but I am not overly faithful in that now that ive been through this same scenario a handful of times already.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 17, 2015 11:12 am

airkooledchris wrote:Thank you Happyfolk for the PDF and link to the rebuild kit on the electronics.

I called Philbin just now and Tony answered the phone. Right away he said he just got a new connection on some parts for them, after which I said great - but just send me whatever you have in whatever state it is in - NOW. PLEASE. I gave my credit card details again.

FIngers crossed that i'll get it this time, but I am not overly faithful in that now that ive been through this same scenario a handful of times already.
You STILL getting jerked around by them?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun May 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Amskeptic wrote: You STILL getting jerked around by them?
Colin

Short answer is yes.

But ive been getting the feeling that it's more about Tony being absent minded or bull headed or ignorant and/or some combination of all 3. Im probably just creating this in my head, but I *feel* like he just wanted it to be fixed 100% before sending it back. He couldn't get the correct vacuum can for it and just wouldn't give in to the idea of using a different one that is close enough or just ditching the retard line and putting a different can on it. who knows, but I won't bother with them ever again, that's for sure. it's sad because everyone else has had much better experiences and I don't know of another shop that's been as well suggested as they have over the years. I might just rub the guy the wrong way.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 18, 2015 5:33 am

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: You STILL getting jerked around by them?
Colin
Short answer is yes. I might just rub the guy the wrong way.
I do my best to rub them all the wrong way so I can have a consistent basis of comparison.
Good luck.
We have a roster of people on this forum who have had to battle the most unbelievable series of obstacles from their suppliers and vendors and servicers.
Colin
(and yes, a distributor outfit can better yet use a variety of available vacuum units and check the curves right there)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:23 am

tristessa wrote:You want me to go knock on their door next week? They're about ten blocks from work, I could take an extended lunch break and see what's up....

I REALLY didn't want to have to do anything like that, but yes - this is where I am now.

As you can see from this thread, I talked directly to Tony - AGAIN - and AGAIN I provided my credit card details and asked to PLEASE send me my distributor back. I said I didn't even care if anything was done to it yet, or what state it's in - just send whatever you have BACK to me.

I still don't have it. I can't call and go through this over and over again, it's becoming a sore spot that I just want to go away.

Whenever it's convenient for you - if you can swing by and see if the thing even exists - id be eternally grateful. I have a feeling I need to readjust my points right now, after a long hot run this past weekend, and damn it I shouldn't have to deal with points anymore! =)

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Drop me a line with some details -- distributor p/n, the shipping address they were supposed to send it to, work order number if they ever gave you one, that kind of stuff. WIthout that, I'm just Some Guy .. with that, I'm still just Some Guy, but I'm Some Guy With Information.

And I should have a used-but-not-rebuilt distributor rattling around the garage, I'll have to check.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:16 pm

airkooledchris wrote: I REALLY didn't want to - AGAIN - and AGAIN, it's becoming a sore spot that I just want to go away
it's eternally feeling I need to readjust my points right
damn it I shouldn't have to deal with points anymore! =)
Aw, I'll help you.
Colin :blackeye:
( MY dwell is still 47* after 6,800 miles of Itinerary . . . . )

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 am

Where did this saga end up?
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 am

I did end up getting it back from them and WITH a working correct year vacuum can. It took regular phone calls to the owner and to stop dealing with Tony directly, but it was done. It's been working since then. In the interim I also acquired a second complete working 79CA setup that a Samba user sent to me while I was still waiting for Philbin to get mine back. Sometime after our visit in 2015 I ended up getting it finally installed and working thankfully. The retard line on the vacuum can is still holding correctly at 5* ATDC at idle and it's maxing out at 28* BTDC at full throttle with vacuum hose disconnected.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 am
I did end up getting it back from them and WITH a working correct year vacuum can. It took regular phone calls to the owner and to stop dealing with Tony directly, but it was done. It's been working since then. In the interim I also acquired a second complete working 79CA setup that a Samba user sent to me while I was still waiting for Philbin to get mine back. Sometime after our visit in 2015 I ended up getting it finally installed and working thankfully. The retard line on the vacuum can is still holding correctly at 5* ATDC at idle and it's maxing out at 28* BTDC at full throttle with vacuum hose disconnected.

Nice. Another successful resolution after a decade of gritty perseverence . . . .
Colin