Flasher/Electrical Troubles

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cek347
I'm New!

Flasher/Electrical Troubles

Post by cek347 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:51 am

So, this past winter I got back into my bug project, got it running for the first time in years, did some other maintenance and was primed to get it on the road this summer. I then started in on getting the lights working and my will ground to a halt. I put the fenders back on and hooked up all the lights/turn signals/front/back. Before going any further, I am a novice so I am just going with what I think is common sense, maybe not automotive common sense.

First notch on head light switch: turn signal/marker lights are good and tail lights are good (though right side is dim)

Second notch on turn signal switch: Headlights and tail lights work (though passenger side rear a little dimmer)

Emergency flashers: all flash, same speed

Turn signal driver: front and back good

Turn signal passenger: flash quickly both front and rear

First step: I replaced all the bulbs with new Result: Same
Second step: Replaced passenger turn signal holder with used holder Result: Same
Third step: Replaced all fuses with new Result Same
Fourth step: Replaced 3 prong turn signal flasher with NAPA brand Result: Turn signals (both left and ride side) flash fast

Fifth step: Put old 3 prong back in, switched light housings (both front and rear) from driver side to pass. and pass. over to driver
Result:
4-ways- all flash same speed, passenger side dim
Parking light position- Passenger front bright-Driver front dim, rears look even
Headlight position- Passenger front signal bright-Driver front signal dim, rears look even
Turn signal Driver side- normal
Turn signal Passenger side- fast

Here is the pic of the flasher setup, right is for 4-ways, left is for turn signals

Where do I go from here?
15 Jetta Tdi 23k
01 Golf Tdi 267k RIP 2/4/15
WTB: Bay West or Vanagon Westy

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Flasher/Electrical Troubles

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Your grounds are bad. I"m not exactly sure how they are physically connected but your problems are all because you don't have good grounds (technically chassis connections) at each of your bulb housings. Usually ground wires are brown and/or the bulb housing itself makes the actual electrical connection to the vehicle body. Make sure the connections, whether by wire or by physical proximity are clean and secure. A little brightening up with some sandpaper works well. Check crimped-on connectors (usually ring connectors that a fixing screw passes through) to make sure they are attached firmly to the wire. Another good thing to do is once the connectors are all clean and shiny and the areas they connect to are the same, put a light film of De-Ox gel to prevent future corrosion which will put you right back to where you are today.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

By the way your common sense is better than you think. If you hadn't done all the steps you did, I wouldn't have known for sure what your problem was. Swapping the bulb holders from side-to-side and having more or less the same issue pretty much sealed the deal for me that you have a ground problem.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

cek347
I'm New!

Re: Flasher/Electrical Troubles

Post by cek347 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 am

OK, thanks for that, Gave me something to focus on.

I cleaned the 2 fender mounting posts on each front turn signal, shined up the nut and washer, shined up each brown ground screwed to the sides under the hood, shined up the mounting points and screws for the rear tails. And we now have turn signals that blink at the same speed. I made sure wires where correct so that the turns where brighter then the parking lamps. Looks good so far. Id say the passenger side seems slightly dimmer but I could be crazy from looking at it the wrong way this whole time also.

What did I learn, figure out how things are grounded, then clean them before making any assumptions.

Now..... as Im checking the brake lights.... the hood is stuck down and I cant get it open. One problem to the next. Looks like it may have been hit at some point and things dont quite line up right. Thats another thread if I cant pop it.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k
01 Golf Tdi 267k RIP 2/4/15
WTB: Bay West or Vanagon Westy