Replacing my alternator - '72 bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Replacing my alternator - '72 bus

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Never been too smart with the electrical stuff, but I noticed my "G" idiot light came on the other day and there appeared to be an apparent whining/howl noise developing. Consulted the idiot guide and determined that I should remove the alt belt, start the bus for a moment and see if the noise went away - Yes indeed. Bearings I suppose? Appears I may be in need of an alternator rebuild - the thing squeaks a bit when turning by hand.

I removed the alternator with help from ratwell's walkthrough- the only part that was really tricky was actually getting it out (had to take off the riser tube and was able to wiggle it out the top)

Here is my question --- Have any of my fellow Portland veedub brethren found a local place that can refurbish vw alternators or a preferred place to buy a nice rebuilt one? what is should I expect to pay?

Always thankful for any advice.
-'72 Westy-

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: Replacing my alternator - '72 bus

Post by Lanval » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 am

You should be able to buy a FLAPS replacement, but I'm so-so on the quality. On the vanagon it's a super-easy swap, so I don't care if mine only lasts a year or two. For $90 I got a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly's on an alternator.

You might check and see if Bus Depot or one of the other air cooled vendors has rebuild kits and do it yourself. Otherwise, recommendations for some old-timer who rebuilds alternators is the way to go. There's an old-school auto electrical shop down here that I use for such things. Find one, and you're set.

Best,

B.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 am

Troy if you have an original Bosch alternator, absolutely, positively get it rebuilt by a reputable automotive electric shop. If you can't find one, send it to me and I'll take it to my guy and get it back to you in time for Maupin. You are going, aren't you?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Pretty sure mine was a remanufacture at some point - I could see the faint remains of the sticker. I'm going to take my chances on what NAPA is claiming to be a Bosch OE Remanufactured one. They had to order it $86.77 including shipping with an $11.00 core. The parts guy said it has a limited lifetime warranty. Hope that stinkin' idiot light goes out. You can bet I'll be cleaning my electrical connections too just for the heck of it.

One of the local shops wanted $150 to rebuild my existing one. Had a $50 core charge

Thanks Dick and Lanval
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 am

Oregon72 wrote:Pretty sure mine was a remanufacture at some point - I could see the faint remains of the sticker. I'm going to take my chances on what NAPA is claiming to be a Bosch OE Remanufactured one. They had to order it $86.77 including shipping with an $11.00 core. The parts guy said it has a limited lifetime warranty. Hope that stinkin' idiot light goes out. You can bet I'll be cleaning my electrical connections too just for the heck of it.

One of the local shops wanted $150 to rebuild my existing one. Had a $50 core charge

Thanks Dick and Lanval
My original alternator lasted 419,000 miles. The bearing let go which allowed the rotor to ground out.
Bought a Bosch Rebuilt. Lasted a year. Committed suicide outside of Phoenix. Got to San Diego and had it re-rebuilt by a crazy shop in La Mesa I think it was, for $75.00. Lasted another 168,000 miles and for all I know is working still with that kid who bought the Road Warrior's engine.
Good Luck with that . . . and be nice to that poor idiot light, it is just doing its job.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Oregon72 wrote:One of the local shops wanted $150 to rebuild my existing one. Had a $50 core charge
Why would there be a core charge if they're rebuilding your existing one? $150.00 is WAY too high.

Good luck with the NAPA unit. Let's hope you never need the 'limited' warranty. The offer still stands for me to have my guy do the work. Sorry if I'm giving you mixed signals, I quite honestly don't know which way you should go with it.

Speaking of warranties. I find interesting and refreshing the new Honda commercial running on TV. The premise is a couple goes to the Huyundai/Kia/Daewoo/etc. dealer after having visited the Honda dealer across the street. They ask the salesperson about the reliability of their brand 'x' vehicle. The salesperson responds about how great their warranty is. The couple then asks "So you're saying I'm going to need to use the warranty?". The salesperson responds with "Did you pepper the Honda salesperson with such difficult questions?" It was nice to see a car company sell their cars based on their reliability. Kinda like back in the day how a certain company sold a little German car we all know and love.
- Dick

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:16 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Speaking of warranties. I find interesting and refreshing the new Honda commercial running on TV. The premise is a couple goes to the Huyundai/Kia/Daewoo/etc. dealer after having visited the Honda dealer across the street...
My favorite ad. Kind of says how I feel. Kia, I think it is, puts a long warranty on there cars, but it isn't transferable to second owners because rather than beliving in their product, they figure most people won't keep the car long enough to have to back it up.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 am

dtrumbo wrote:
Oregon72 wrote:One of the local shops wanted $150 to rebuild my existing one. Had a $50 core charge
Why would there be a core charge if they're rebuilding your existing one? .
Sorry for the confusion - there wouldn't be a core charge. Only if I kept my old one and they sold me an entirely separate rebuilt one would the core charge apply.

Now I'm thinking about rebuilding my own alternator harness (deeper and deeper)- one of the wires looks a little suspect which could have been the cause of my idiot light in addition to the growly bearing. Old Volks sells new ones for around $80, but I think I can build one cheaper and reuse my connections. Anyone ever built thier own?
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 am

Oregon72 wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:
Why would there be a core charge if they're rebuilding your existing one? .
Sorry for the confusion - there wouldn't be a core charge. Only if I kept my old one and they sold me an entirely separate rebuilt one would the core charge apply.

Now I'm thinking about rebuilding my own alternator harness (deeper and deeper)- one of the wires looks a little suspect which could have been the cause of my idiot light in addition to the growly bearing. Old Volks sells new ones for around $80, but I think I can build one cheaper and reuse my connections. Anyone ever built thier own?
I have seen many self-made harnesses. Our home made weak points seem to be the cheap chinese connectors that destroy themselves if you attempt to make a secure crimp.I would crimp softly and solder for sure.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Update -

The NAPA reman. arrived and I picked it up, took it home, and tried fitting my cover on it,......... well dang!! Cover doesn't sit all the way down. The plate and the B+ post pokes out way too far for the cover to seat - about a quarter of an inch. I took it back to Napa and the desk tech said that I should just bend the cover up and "make it fit". In a pinch I might have done this, but thoughts about the cooling being compromised or having the electrical ground out with the cover laying down directly against the post came to mind. The thing is a tight fit in the engine as it is so I'm not going to do that and end up regretting it later. Needless to say, I returned it to NAPA and snagged my core back. Called a couple other places in Portland. One of them wanted $130 just for labor and then parts on top of that cost - holy cow! Another place said they couldn't even get to it for another 3 weeks. Another place said they didn't work on my type of alternator.

Was hoping I wouldn't have to rely on you, dtrumbo but nothing seems to be working out here in Portlandia. Gonna take one last shot and call Discount Import tomorrow and see what they say.

PS - I'm going to reuse my wiring - had to put a butt connector on one of the compromised wires and I think it is looking good. Could have been the reason for my idiot light actually, but there is no denying that growly bearing, so I need the thing rebuilt anyway.

Stay tuned...
-'72 Westy-

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:43 am

The economy must be doing very well. Everywhere I go, every bit of goods or services I buy, I'm dealing with someone's first day on the job.
Bend the cover???...For crap's sake!

I'm thinking about starting a charity drive: "Tape Measures for Mexico"
Forget micrometers...too optimistic...just give them some flippin' tape measures so they can get the parts in the ballpark.
I once tried to put on a Beetle door latch and the screw holes were a full 1/4" off. I can "eyeball" closer than that!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Randy had this problem too...PM him and see how he fixed it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:24 pm

As stated, Re-man's from napa require modification to the B+ post, or there will be much smoke and flash when you hook it up. Ask me how I know.

We have all our alts rebuilt locally here in EUG by a good man with 30 years experience building VW and other starting/charging units. Shoot me a PM and I'll see if can help hoook ya up.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for the offer DJ - Dtrumbo helped me get mine rebuilt at his local auto electric in Lynnwood, WA. Got it back and it looks really nice. Turns out the thing had all sorts of problems that dtrumbo can describe much better than I can, bearings went out and the stater was getting rubbed on such and such and so on. Needless to say, it was electrically shot when Lynnwood tested it. I haven't had a chance to install it yet but hope to be able to in the next couple weeks.
-'72 Westy-

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Yep, that's pretty much what it was. The bearings failed and the rotor was rubbing on the stator which ruined it. Fortunately Larry found a good used stator. That with new bearings and bushings and it's (or should be anyway) good as new.
- Dick