DC power supply

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

DC power supply

Post by Ryno » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Ok..first off, I'm a bit of an electrical dummy. I have this DC power supply that has been sitting in a box in my basement for awhile.

My question is: Is this the type of unit I need to run an auxillary battery for camping while away from shore power?

I also have this one:
I believe this unit is what was supplied in Westy's, but it's in rough shape and I would not feel good using it.

My bus is kind of a home built camper, and I plan on adding an RV type furnace in the future which I would like to run from a battery if needed. Any input is appreciated, this is something I'm planning on doing over the next few months, so fire when ready.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: DC power supply

Post by Sylvester » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Buy my furnace from me, I have one in my Bus and it is not needed away down here in the land of cotton.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:06 pm

No, Both of those require shore power or 110 AC and put out 12.7 and 13.5 volts DC. These are used to charge a battery from shore power or to run 12V appliances when 110 AC is available.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:No, Both of those require shore power or 110 AC and put out 12.7 and 13.5 volts DC. These are used to charge a battery from shore power or to run 12V appliances when 110 AC is available.
Thank you Rick. So I could use either one in a 12-volt system right?
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 am

Ryno wrote:Thank you Rick. So I could use either one in a 12-volt system right?
Describe what you're trying to do. That's a pretty general question.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:49 am

sped372 wrote:
Ryno wrote:Thank you Rick. So I could use either one in a 12-volt system right?
Describe what you're trying to do. That's a pretty general question.
I'm not trying anything quite yet. At this point, I'm putting together a list of needs to add an auxillary battery to my camper. I now have an understanding of the DC power supply function, but I'm now curious on the difference between the two units pictured. I see the output and amperage are a little different between the two units so I'm just questioning the difference in them now.

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm

They both do the same thing, but the green one can output a bit more power.
When you're doing this stuff, keep in mind that the bus uses (about) a 12 volt system, and your house uses 120.
If you use household appliances in your bus, you're going to need to get 120v from somewhere (normally you use an inverter).
If you use bus appliances in your house, you're going to need to get 12v from somewhere - one of the power supplies you have is for this.

If you want to use an auxiliary battery, you can charge it from your alternator as you drive, or, if you are parked somewhere where 120v is available, one of the power supplies you have could charge it. In my experience though, you rarely have a need for that.

Easiest all round is to equip your camper with energy efficient 12 volt stuff (LED interior lighting for example), to minimize the load on the battery (and hence the size of battery needed).

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:32 am

Awesome input Jim!...Thanks for taking the time.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia