generators vs alternators?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

urtheiz
I'm New!

generators vs alternators?

Post by urtheiz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:15 am

looked through the forum for this information, couldn't find it so hope the answer to this is an easy one, ah, what are the pros and cons of generators vs alternators? :bounce:
wakeup to find out urtheiz of the world

'71 camper-daily ride

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: generators vs altenators?

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:07 am

alternators make more juice and are easier to find in parts stores. That about sums it up.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: generators vs alternators?

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:30 am

urtheiz wrote:looked through the forum for this information, couldn't find it so hope the answer to this is an easy one, ah, what are the pros and cons of generators vs alternators? :bounce:
Let's start with you. It is all about you, you know?

Have you in the past or currently, wished you had more electrical supply?

I have seen some real issues crop up with the conversion, balance/alignment/interference with the carburetor/alternator stand oil filler leaks-lousy breathing, and dealing with those issues is only worth it IF you have discovered that you really need the extra juice.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

urtheiz
I'm New!

Post by urtheiz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:09 pm

nope don't need any more juice, just thinking sbout replacing the generator cause i got this problem with the gen pully and (of course) can't figure out whats goin' on. the old pully wasn't a stock one and i couldn't get to keep the belt tight all the time (hence part of my overheating prob) so i replaced it w/a stock one and now i'm getting small metal shavings from the inside half of the pully hitting the front of the geterator AND on the outside part of the pully, the hole that slides over the gen shaft is getting worn down and moving out of sinc w/the inside pully (i taped and painted a spot on the 2 halfs for reference) and this happened in a short amount of time/milage. it looks to me like the gen and crank pully's are in line, but then again all this did start after i change the oil cooler (stock dghse). sooooooooooooo
i'm not driving it for now, but it is up for sale and i need to get it fixed.

'71 camper-daily ride

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:45 pm

urtheiz wrote:nope don't need any more juice,

the old pully wasn't a stock one
replaced it w/a stock one and now i'm getting small metal shavings from the inside half of the pully hitting the front of the generator
If you are selling it, I won't launch into any diatribes about getting the damn thing fixed correctly. Basically, a stock pulley is designed to miss the generator by a fraction of an inch at the screws that hold the end plates on. You need to find the contact point. Is the bearing not installed in the endplate to the correct depth? Is it loose? So many questions.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 pm

I am all for stock OE parts. They are solid, balanced well, and will last forever. Aftermarket is literally just the opposite. You need to see them side by side to really see it.
I just worked on a type1 engine that someone did the aftermarket alt conversion. The backing plate was so flimsy that if the bolts weren't bolted down jussst right the fan would rub on the shroud. Crap.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

urtheiz
I'm New!

Post by urtheiz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:55 am

screwheads seem to be whats gettin' scraped but whats trippin' me out is the change of allignment of the 2 halfs of the gen pully and the wear n' tear of the mount hole (just the outside one). 2-300 miles and the outside of the pully has moved 1/2" or so to the right which might be explained by thats the way the engine turns and the friction on the inside half is getting slowed down soooo.......but the wearing of the gen shaft hole is the question.
as for selling the car and not worring about "the problem", what if it dosen't sell? i think the car (body/inside) is in really good shape (ruckman101 saw it last year when i stayed at is place for a couple of daze) so i am asking/listing on the 'high' side, but planning on droppin' some. what if i have to drive it for another couple of months, i'd like it to run nice for myself or whoever buys it. i'm not really into selling something thats might break down/need fixin' 500/1000 miles after someone buys it. thats happened to me before, didn't dig it and thats not the vibe i wanna pass on.

'71 camper-daily ride

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:11 pm

urtheiz wrote:screwheads seem to be whats gettin' scraped but whats trippin' me out is the change of allignment of the 2 halfs of the gen pully and the wear n' tear of the mount hole (just the outside one). 2-300 miles and the outside of the pully has moved 1/2" or so to the right which might be explained by thats the way the engine turns and the friction on the inside half is getting slowed down soooo.......but the wearing of the gen shaft hole is the question.
as for selling the car and not worring about "the problem", what if it dosen't sell? i think the car (body/inside) is in really good shape (ruckman101 saw it last year when i stayed at is place for a couple of daze) so i am asking/listing on the 'high' side, but planning on droppin' some. what if i have to drive it for another couple of months, i'd like it to run nice for myself or whoever buys it. i'm not really into selling something thats might break down/need fixin' 500/1000 miles after someone buys it. thats happened to me before, didn't dig it and thats not the vibe i wanna pass on.
The reason I asked about selling it
versus
loving it forever
:withstupid:

is that the solid solution may very involve removing the generator and either replacing it with a properly assembled unit with good tight woodruff key/pulley assembly, or maching yours to have correct depth and perhaps an oversize woodruff key.

There are repair operations that will work, but they do not necessarily guarantee you a reliable next 100,000 miles.

There is insane stress at the pulley halves and woodruff key. They have to be snug, not sloppy. The aftermarket crap has proved not to be up to the task.
Colin