Tachometer draining battery?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

renobdarb
I'm New!

Tachometer draining battery?

Post by renobdarb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I have a slow battery leak that I traced to fuse #7, which is one of the accessory fuses on the '78. I have my tachometer wired to it. When tracing the drain, I found that when I took out the #7 fuse the draw dropped from .09 amps to .01. I put the fuse back in, took a reading - which was back up to .09 amps - and unplugged the tach from the fuse, and again the draw dropped to .01 amps.

Could the tach possibly be causing this battery draw? It doesn't make a lot of sense, however I'm no electrical guy, so maybe someone can tell me if this is possible and/or what's happening.
1978 Campmobile, 2000cc w/hydro lifters, dual Weber 44 IDF carbs (50 idle jets, 115 main jets), SVDA distributor w/Compufire.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Tachometer draining battery?

Post by sped372 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:02 am

If you unplugged the tach and your amp draw dropped then it has to be the culprit. Is that fuse always hot (even with the ignition off)? The tach shouldn't need power all the time, just when the engine's running - you could wire it to a switched fuse to fix the battery drain.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

renobdarb
I'm New!

Post by renobdarb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 am

sped372 wrote:If you unplugged the tach and your amp draw dropped then it has to be the culprit. Is that fuse always hot (even with the ignition off)? The tach shouldn't need power all the time, just when the engine's running - you could wire it to a switched fuse to fix the battery drain.
That's a good question; I'm not sure if it's a hot fuse. How do I tell?
1978 Campmobile, 2000cc w/hydro lifters, dual Weber 44 IDF carbs (50 idle jets, 115 main jets), SVDA distributor w/Compufire.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:40 am

Got a test light?

Attach the clip to ground and touch either the metal part of the fuse, or the terminal holding it, with the point. If the test light glows with the ignition off you know the circuit is always hot. You could also use a voltmeter... if you have voltage between the fuse and ground with the key off, same situation. Make sense?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:00 pm

If your '78 is still wired as the factory intended then fuse #7 is hot all the time. Perhaps fuse #12 would be the better choice as it's switched power.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

renobdarb
I'm New!

Post by renobdarb » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 am

dtrumbo wrote:If your '78 is still wired as the factory intended then fuse #7 is hot all the time. Perhaps fuse #12 would be the better choice as it's switched power.
I re-wired the tach to fuse #12, and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the tips, guys. The current draw dropped from .08 amp to .01, and I traced that leftover .01 amp to fuse #8, which is where my stereo is wired, so I'm thinking that .01 amp draw is just the memory on the stereo.

Anyway, no more battery drain is certainly a good thing!