Bus Interior Lighting

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Bus Interior Lighting

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:09 am

Is there any way remove the interior lights from my deluxe for an upgrade without removing the headliner?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bus Interior Lighting

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:46 pm

DjEep wrote:Is there any way remove the interior lights from my deluxe for an upgrade without removing the headliner?
Such as removing the lights and taping the wires? They are held in by means of little spring clips visible along the short perimeter of the light housings. Remove fuse first. Sometimes they like to smoke the fuse when you inadvertantly short a terminal against the header metal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 pm

More like installing another fixture of some sort, just want to access the wiring. Navin is getting a completely homemade interior, so I need some interesting lighting.

So I just pull the fuse and pry the fixture out from the clips? Seems simple enough, I just like to ask before doing the obvious since the obvious isn't always right...
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:25 pm

You could go battery-motion-sensor lights as well....seen it done well a few times. :dontknow:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:56 am

I was thinking about those LEDs that someone here linked to.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:02 pm

LED's are becoming an excellent solution. They're finally bright enough (when ganged together) and you can't beat the lumens-per-watt efficiency. The only remaining problems IMHO are colour related. If you don't like the cool blue tint of "white" LED's, there's not much you can do about it other than go for amber or red or blue. They sure make good reading lights though, powered from the coach battery.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:18 pm

glasseye wrote:LED's are becoming an excellent solution. They're finally bright enough (when ganged together) and you can't beat the lumens-per-watt efficiency. The only remaining problems IMHO are colour related. If you don't like the cool blue tint of "white" LED's, there's not much you can do about it other than go for amber or red or blue. They sure make good reading lights though, powered from the coach battery.
I can't tolerate cold flourescent. Do they have full-spectrum LEDs yet?
Otherwise, I'd go amber in the cabin to thet off my vewy pwetty off-white interiorrrrr. . . .

:flower:

Colin :drunken:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Otherwise, I'd go amber in the cabin to thet off my vewy pwetty off-white interiorrrrr. . . .

I hate fluorescent with a pathion. Thoth compact fluorescent bulbs will never thee the inthide of my houth. I do admit to carrying a two-foot portable fluorescent unit for years in my Asstro as a night-time reading light, but only because it was all that was available. Now I use a 7 LED flashlight and rechargable AAs. Poor colour rendition, but great for reading.

LEDs by their nature emit a very narrow spectrum, so a pleasing colour (broad spectrum) is diffucult. "Lumileds" by Phillips are looking better and better, though.

http://www.lumileds.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=12

Peter
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
glasseye wrote:LED's are becoming an excellent solution. They're finally bright enough (when ganged together) and you can't beat the lumens-per-watt efficiency. The only remaining problems IMHO are colour related. If you don't like the cool blue tint of "white" LED's, there's not much you can do about it other than go for amber or red or blue. They sure make good reading lights though, powered from the coach battery.

True the white LED's are cold in color but by accident I discovered that if you combine the white with red it becomes bearable. A much warmer spectrum.

[albumimg]174[/albumimg]
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:38 pm

I might just go with blacklite LEDs in the back cause I'm weird like that, and maybe white and/or amber for the front fixture.

I've always wanted a hitop with a chandelier....

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:45 am

I like using a little candle lantern, go figure.......
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:59 pm

Westy78's lights look awesome in person...the perfect amount of light from those LED's...and the install was very nicely done. :thumbleft:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:00 pm

It's futuristic! Looks like the interior of an intergalactic shuttle. Sometimes I pretend I'm fueling a space pod when I'm getting the bus ready for a trip, especially filling the water tank.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:05 am

I like candlelight too, thinking about putting some sconces on the wall between the cab and the "living quarters" (I put a wall there :geek: )

In the meantime I've run a light strand under my "head liner" and just run it off the inverter.

Random plug! Navins battery sucks and I abuse it by running my CDJs, Mixer, Amp and lighting off it... The other day I left the amp on and had to jump it. Then I drove it about 5 miles, parked and used the jumpers to hook Geri's Optima to Navin's Half-Dead-Generic so I could run Navin's soundsystem while barbequeing. After an hour of lights and music, I disconnected and started the buses. Navin started stronger than ever and Geri, strong as always... Go Optima!