78 bus ignition switch cylinder

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

DonB.
I'm New!

78 bus ignition switch cylinder

Post by DonB. » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Replaced ignition cylinder, I can turn the key, dash lights come on but it won`t crank. I can put the old one in but its worn out and it might take a few times before it will crank. Any ideas

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 78 bus ignition switch cylinder

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 pm

DonB. wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:05 pm
Replaced ignition cylinder, I can turn the key, dash lights come on but it won`t crank. I can put the old one in but its worn out and it might take a few times before it will crank. Any ideas

Did you replace the switch itself? New switches can be awful. Disconnect battery and do a continuity test between red wire terminal and red/black wire terminal (while still all plugged in and installed) by turning key to start position from full off. Remember that the no-repeat switch means you must go to full off between each start position attempt.
Continuity? Continue on below. No continuity, bad switch.

Reconnect battery.Disconnect the molex connector. Put your jumper wire in the red wire terminal slot.
Make sure gear shift is like duh in like neutral.

Quickly brush other end of wire across the red/black wire terminal. You should hear something, a click, a chatter, off the starter solenoid back there under the back seat. Make a more secure bridge if you want to try to run the starter.

If it is deaddeaddead, check that the red/black wire connector in starter switch molex is at proper seat depth, and follow it to the big white rectangular connector above the steering column bracket (it is an eight-position connector). Make sure that big connector is fully seated! Check for an electrical path through both sides of the connector at the red/black wire position. Then follow it to the starter solenoid push-on terminal (#50). The red/black wire should be a firm push onto the top spade which I believe will be horizontal/parallel to the ground. The very important red/white wire's spade terminal should go on the vertical spade.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 73,945 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 67,075 miles

Return to “Electrical”