Transaxle removal--stuck bolts! (69 Campmobile 71dp)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Transaxle removal--stuck bolts! (69 Campmobile 71dp)

Post by thesamwise4 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Greetings!

I had a real moment of triumph today when I slid my engine out of my bus. It was a great feeling (first time I had done it).

I hit a wall, however, when I was trying to remove the bolts that secure the drive shafts to the trans/wheels.

It wasn't a success--some of the bolts are hex drive, some are star drive (I don't know if that's what it's actually called), and they are all very soft and prone to rounding off.

I was only able to get two off. I PBlasted a few others and tried gripping them with vise grips on the outside while using the hex/star drive, but had no luck moving most of them.

I gave all remaining ones a couple of good PBlasts before I left for the day. I will return tomorrow and try to get them free.

Is it normal for them to be mixed (some 6mm hex drive, some "star" drive)? If so, why is this?

Any suggestions/helpful hints on how to remove them?

Thanks!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm

It may be too late but you want to get in there with a sharp pick or nail to get every last piece of crud out of the bolt heads first. Your removal tool of choice needs to seat completely down into the socket or it will lead to rounding the corners as you've described.

It's possible to have either the "regular" allen style bolts or ones referred to as "triple-square" - someone may have swapped some along the way.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Here is the 12 point "triple square" socket you will want.....

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpr ... 1093660430

You should be able to get one at the local auto parts store.

Of course you will also want to replace the ones you are taking off with nice new ones. Buy the new 8mm belleville washers at the same time.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:Here is the 12 point "triple square" socket you will want.....

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpr ... 1093660430

You should be able to get one at the local auto parts store.

Of course you will also want to replace the ones you are taking off with nice new ones. Buy the new 8mm belleville washers at the same time.
Belleville washers? You mean those crazy ////////// washers . . have a name?
ColinYouAreATreasureTroveOfInformation
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles