The Art Of Double-Clutching

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:11 am

bretski wrote:Already downloaded...that's why I ask. :D

This one (on Photobucket) is lower-rez than the ones on TS's gallery (and gets blurry when magnified).
I'll send you an email attachment if you PM me the email address.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 am

BellePlaine wrote:
grandfatherjim wrote:When going from third to fourth the engine speed will need to drop.
Jim
I'm sorry, I misread. I was thinking of downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Do HOLD the RPMs while in N and clutching into 4th. I suppose that you do, huh? It's just that I'm accustomed to letting off the gas while clutching.
There are two ways to double-clutch downshift.

A) The rpm float method is spooky smooth and devilishly difficult.
In the article example, at 30 mph, you would release the accelerator to clutch into neutral, bring the engine up to 2,700 rpm in neutral and hold it there while you clutched into 3rd and let off the clutch.

B) The Usual Method is to blip the accelerator up to say, 3,000 rpm and time the clutch dip/shift-into-gear to the engine coming back down.

Either way, yes, you release the accelerator pedal at your first clutch-in, unless you are a hot-shoe who doesn't give a damn and are doing the old power-shift.

The devil is in how much the car is slowing down (uphill) or speeding up (downhill) during the shift, you would have to account for that or you would have an engine that is actually a bit too fast. What I do is downshift slightly earlier on uphills than my shift point so that I know it will BE at 30 when I finish. When I am showing my customers the double-clutching thang, the lesson can go awry because of a hill.
Colin

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 am

i have to admit I was more than a little confused at points. I think mainly due to the similarity of all the diagrams and overall number of pages involved.

The early version while definitely more cluttered but seems to be much less intimidating to me.

The varied illustrations and the aschwanden/muir like whimsy tht is injected here and there make it more engaging and easier for me to digest.

60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:30 pm

zabo wrote:The early version while definitely more cluttered but seems to be much less intimidating to me.
You are the second person to mention this. And what it has done is give me pause. Everybody has always (there's a hystrionic generalization) told me that I cram too much on a page. And I looked at that original diagram with embarrassment, like how in the world could I foist that upon people to try to make sense of. Yet, some prefer it. I think the visually tuned people like having it all there to digest visually, and the word driven people like to have it spelled out more calmly. Interesting.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:02 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
dhoch14 wrote:Ok.
-dave
WHEN you double clutch, you do the following:

3rd to 4th example:
Driving in 3rd, getting close to 4th
CLUTCH IN, SHIFT TO NEUTRAL,

CLUTCH OUT WHILE IN NEUTRAL,
( The Neutral Staging Area! Match the engine speed here)

CLUTCH IN, SHIFT TO 4TH,

CLUTCH OUT.
I have a question. You gas the engine to match the speed of the down shift; I understand this. But do you continue to gas as you put the clutch in and shift to 4th? I imagine that you do, but holding high rpm's to an engine under no load would be hard for me to get used to.
On a downshift you have two options. If you are Mr. Slick, yes, hold the engine and amaze your friends with glass-smooth shift. If you are a normal race car driver trying to get out of the corner, you blip the gas in neutral a bit faster than you want it to be, then nail the shift as the engine comes down. We will do a test drive with both examples . . .
:king: