growling sound

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

growling sound

Post by blatzer » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:25 pm

on a sweeping left turn, there is a noticeable noise coming from the bus- is that the left bearing inner/outer making that sound?
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:49 am

Hey Blatz. Have you jacked it up to see What's happening in there?

is it coming from the front?

Jack it and wiggle the wheel. Loose?

Pop it open and take a look.

You might just get a set of bearings for when you do take a look. If it is just an adjustment issue packem away for future use.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:12 pm

it comes with the steering wheel, when i turn left it gets louder, straight you can kind of hear it and right it more or less goes away, so i repacked the front left inner outer bearings (they seemed in ok shape) and the noise is still there- have to check the rear ones next and the other front one too, for that matter!
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:16 pm

blatzer wrote:it comes with the steering wheel, when i turn left it gets louder, straight you can kind of hear it and right it more or less goes away, so i repacked the front left inner outer bearings (they seemed in ok shape) and the noise is still there- have to check the rear ones next and the other front one too, for that matter!
If you are turning LEFT, then it is the OUTER left bearing and the INNER right bearing that are taking the load.
:compress: Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles