003 to 010 swap

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gs2
I'm New!

003 to 010 swap

Post by gs2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:15 pm

I've been considering a trans swap and need some advice. I have a 74 automatic, the 003. I have been looking at putting in an 010 instead. I realize that the shift lever is on the opposite side of the trans but I can handle that change.
My concern is that all the 010 trans that I have seen are on fuel injected engines. Will there be any issues putting an 010 in with a dual carb setup.
I'm willing to fabricate what is needed, I have the equipment needed to make nearly anything.
I would just like to know if it is impossible and possibly get a little advice on what needs to be done if it is possible.

Thanks

George
74 Rusty Bus
74 Sportsmobile Automatic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 003 to 010 swap

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

gs2 wrote:I've been considering a trans swap and need some advice. I have a 74 automatic, the 003. I have been looking at putting in an 010 instead. I realize that the shift lever is on the opposite side of the trans but I can handle that change.
My concern is that all the 010 trans that I have seen are on fuel injected engines. Will there be any issues putting an 010 in with a dual carb setup.
I'm willing to fabricate what is needed, I have the equipment needed to make nearly anything.
I would just like to know if it is impossible and possibly get a little advice on what needs to be done if it is possible.
Thanks
George
Having not done such a swap, I cannot give you a real life account of the issues involved. The most important issue IIRC, is that the kickdown is a different animal. In the earlier transmissions, the kickdown was launched via a floor switch and solenoid, the later ones via the accelerator cable engaging a kick-down lever. There would be a lot of fiddling around to get the dual carb accelerator cable to stop at the transaxle and to make a relay cable to the carbs. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:11 am

010s were used on carbed busses over here in the UK.

You'd need to move the accelerator cable (as Colin has stated) and make a linkage from the gearbox to the carbs. Block off the vacuum feed to the old gearbox and shift the lever about. Other than that I cannot think of any differences, but then I have not done the swap either.

Why move from the 003?
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:34 am

fido wrote:010s were used on carbed busses over here in the UK.

You'd need to move the accelerator cable (as Colin has stated) and make a linkage from the gearbox to the carbs. Block off the vacuum feed to the old gearbox and shift the lever about. Other than that I cannot think of any differences, but then I have not done the swap either.

Why move from the 003?
010 is the more common transmission with better parts availablity, I have been told. However, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the rear axle ratios between the later 010 and earlier 003, you do not want to drop the rear axle ratio too far down for the earlier engine's higher rpm horsepower peak.
Colin