Clutch lever question.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Clutch lever question.

Post by regis101 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Greetings. The Bentley call is a clutch lever. I call it the clutch operating lever or the thingy that the cable guzinta for pedal adjustment.

Can this be reclocked on the cross shaft? Or is it a one position only due to a flat spot on the shaft or something.

The replacement cables always seem to be too long. The wing nut is damn near to the hilt. I could double triple check the part numbers but that should be the vendors job, no?

Thanks,

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Clutch lever question.

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:05 pm

regis101 wrote:Greetings. The Bentley call is a clutch lever. I call it the clutch operating lever or the thingy that the cable guzinta for pedal adjustment.

Can this be reclocked on the cross shaft? Or is it a one position only due to a flat spot on the shaft or something.

The replacement cables always seem to be too long. The wing nut is damn near to the hilt. I could double triple check the part numbers but that should be the vendors job, no?

Thanks,
It is "indexed" for just one position. Long cables can be cured by adding washers between the black cable and the bracket on the side of the transaxle. Should anyone suggest throwing a lug nut on the end of the cable to take up slack, decline frostily.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks for the response. I did find this picture from a thread search on that other forum. About half way down. Shows some splines. Don't know if this is a common ailment or if I'm having all the luck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... hift+lever

Might have to source an OE German cable to hope for the correct length. Last thing anyone should do is use a cable clamp to shorten it.

I've had this problem with the last two clutch cable kits. I probably used the same brand and didn't know it. Cross shaft was replaced 7 yrs ago. New clutch kit was just installed. The cross shaft fingers didn't show any fatigue.
No lug nuts. The wing nut has to rest in the detent

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:27 pm

regis101 wrote: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... hift+lever

Might have to source an OE German cable to hope for the correct length.
Adjust with the washers between the Bowden tube and the transaxle bracket. Tell 'em I said so. That bit about too much sag causing cable breakage is just nonsense. It will take barely .060"-.120" to bring the wing nut back into the middle range of the threads.

That deal on theSamba with the grinding gears makes me wince. There was a design change from floating release bearing to guided release bearing with the collar on the transaxle input shaft when VW switched from the three arm pressure plate to the diaphram with fingers pressure plate. I am thinking his release bearing does not have the correct protrusion. His operating lever is slanted like crazy which means it is having to travel too far to contact the pressure plate.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles