Transmission "Burped" Oil ???

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Transmission "Burped" Oil ???

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:36 pm

I looked under my Bus today and saw some oil on the garage floor. The location where it had dripped was far forward of the engine. I crawled under to have a look, and the front transmission mount was covered with gear oil.

Apparently, some gear oil got pumped out of the vent hole on the top of the transmission.

How and why would this have happened?

Thanks!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Transmission "Burped" Oil ???

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:41 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I saw some oil why?
When it is weird, wait for a duplicated event. If it does happen again, then dig in. Transmission tipped when you had it out? Might have filled webs internally at breather that then puked when transaxle got warmed up. I dunno. . . . . .
I think the transaxle vent is actually rearward of the nose cone mount. But the shiftrod seal is right over the nose cone mount. Did you have a tranaxle hanging moment when putting the engine in?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:22 pm

I just crawled under for a much closer look. Actually, it doesn't appear to be the transmission at all.

Someone (who shall remain nameless) :cyclopsani: squirted oil into the throttle cable from the engine compartment a while back to help lube it up. It appears that oil leaked from the junction of the flexible hose to the steel line above the transmission and ran down to a low spot - just over the transmission front mount.

Funny how it just now decided to escape....
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen