Axle Play question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

amishman
Addicted!

Axle Play question

Post by amishman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm

1973 Thing.

Hopefully I can explain this proper in text so I get my point across. Been doing a brake job and have it all done other than adjust the rear brakes and add brake fluid and bleed it. Tires are back on and after adjusting the brakes, will let her down so I can tighten lugs, etc... So, here is my question. hehehe

Have the rear end up on jack stands still.
No emergency brakes and is in neutral.
Put my hand on one of the tires and rotate it and the other tire on other end spins. So far so good.

Say I put one hand at 9 position on tire and other at 3. Turn to the right say a few inches and then quickly turn left a few inches and basically a back and forth motion, there seems to be a little time/play in that motion where I here a little noise and a lighter sensation on the tire and then it seems to catch gears and rotates. So, I guess my word here is play where it takes a few seconds to engage the other direction. My guess again just the CV joints turning the opposite direction quickly and catching up with itself and back and forth.

Is that normal?

Or should it be rock solid like concrete so the instant you reverse directions it catches right away, no play, no noise, like the front tires. The fronts obviously don't have axle CV joint stuff so maybe that is why I feel no play.

Just caught me off guard I guess. Reason I was spinning the tire was to, after doing adjusting, you spin wheel to make sure it has just a little or no grab, etc... and when I spun it, I had that pendulum effect like the weight was still going in the other direction and by going so quickly in the reverse it needs to catch up, etc...

Hope that made sense.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Axle Play question

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:05 pm

amishman wrote:
1973 Thing.

play normal?
Yes.

Colin

(with axle nuts correctly torqued, CV bolts secure, lug nuts all good)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles