Auto-stick tranny?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Auto-stick tranny?

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Auto-stick trannies?

Should I run away, or maybe purchase an auto-stick car?

Test drove one today. Different. It has a town gear up to 40 mph or so, and a highway gear, and then of course reverse and a granny gear apparently.

Testify!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 am

i drove an autostick for 6 years and it was great. as long as you keep them in good shape their pretty cool... parts are very unavailable though

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Auto-stick tranny?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:23 am

ruckman101 wrote: an auto-stick car?
Test drove one today. Different. It has a town gear up to 40 mph or so, and a highway gear, and then of course reverse and a granny gear apparently.
Testify!
neal
Otherwise known as a conventional three-speed manual transmission-with-clutch and a torque-converter. When I drive auto-stick bugs, I run them right up through the gears. They are fun and if you keep it well-maintained, it is reliable. Market value will go up as people come around to realize that VW was a pioneer with "paddle shifting."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:13 pm

agreed. that middle "around town gear" can become an excellent "lets eat up this hill gear" and propell you at 55 mph at 4800 rpm nicely past many struggling vehicles (speaking of my own 1700 / 003 auto combination here...). That first gear will also get you up the most improbable inclines - especially if you can persuade the tranny not to dump you in 2nd gear when it reaches 3000 rpm.

They are Borg-Warner units, so parts are not as unavailable as you might think, and many auto trans shops will know them well.
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:57 pm

I love my '71 Beetle Convertible's Autostick! I've owned it since 1990, and although I have not driven many miles, it has been perfectly reliable. Driving in 2 and 3 goes nicely with the laid back personality of the car. If you have to make a quick getaway or pull out into traffic from a stop, that granny-gear is quick!

I've always heard that the #1 problem is breakage of the wire that connects to the microswitch in the gearshift lever. If it breaks, you can't "put it in drive" from neutral after starting the car. Mine has never broken.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm

fido wrote:.... especially if you can persuade the tranny not to dump you in 2nd gear when it reaches 3000 rpm.
I think you may be confusing the fully automatic transmission in the Bus with the Autostick in the Beetle. The driver must change gears with the gearshift lever with the Autostick. It will not shift up or down on its own.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen