Torque converter --UPDATED-- leak repaired

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

soulful66
Addicted!

Torque converter --UPDATED-- leak repaired

Post by soulful66 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:36 pm

Can anyone provide me with the diamentions of part of a torque converter that the t/c seal goes around? This is for my 79 bus, and I am trying to get a repair sleeve to fix the groove in t/c. Once I locate a workable part for this, I will let all know, so we no longer have to buy a rblt t/c. I have used this repair on many axle seal repairs, with great results. Just think, no more leaking trans and the cost savings! Thanks for any help!!
Best Regards,
John

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Torque converter

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:42 pm

soulful66 wrote:Can anyone provide me with the dimentions of part of a torque converter that the t/c seal goes around? This is for my 79 bus, and I am trying to get a repair sleeve to fix the groove in t/c. Once I locate a workable part for this, I will let all know, so we no longer have to buy a rblt t/c. I have used this repair on many axle seal repairs, with great results. Just think, no more leaking trans and the cost savings! Thanks for any help!!
Best Regards,
John
If you have a machinist fabricating a sleeve, bring the torque converter in. Whatever dimensions we give you here will be mostly suitable for the one we measure.
Colin

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey Hack :yawinkle: ,
I am looking into SKS' inventory of repair sleeves. These things have worked like a champ in the past on like applications.

On a personal note...Jean want to know when you are going to be in colorado springs. She will have another homemade apple pie made for your wearry road worn body.

Best regards,
John

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:03 pm

soulful66 wrote:Hey Hack :yawinkle: ,
I am looking into SKS' inventory of repair sleeves. These things have worked like a champ in the past on like applications.

On a personal note...Jean want to know when you are going to be in colorado springs. She will have another homemade apple pie made for your wearry road worn body.

Best regards,
John
I like the thought of repair sleeves. . . but I am leery of giving out dimension #s due to the fact that i don't have an automatic transmission and you'd be at the mercy of the measurer's measuring prowess.

Pie. Pie good. Technical forum here does not allow us to chat.
Colin

mycoleptodiscus
I'm New!

Torque Converter

Post by mycoleptodiscus » Wed May 09, 2007 5:02 pm

I'll do some measurements. I have access to a digital micromter and my tranny just happens to be in pieces! My T/C has a bit of a groove in the sealing area as well. I was planning to try and scare up a new one, but repair sounds better. I downloaded the instructions for the SKF sleeves and will get the info. Great idea!

mycoleptodiscus
I'm New!

Rebuild

Post by mycoleptodiscus » Thu May 17, 2007 10:20 am

this place will rebuild your converter in a week
Midwest Converters 612-724-3004

mycoleptodiscus
I'm New!

Midwest converters

Post by mycoleptodiscus » Wed May 23, 2007 8:11 pm

I dropped my converter off. Man was this place crazy. They said they did one just like mine just last week. The guy pulled out the new neck that they were going to weld on. The place was crawling with torque converters! It was insane. Big, little, skinny, fat. It was nuts. They promised me they would take very good care of it. They were going to cut it apart and check all the innards and then weld it back together. Whahoo!

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Great info! How much $$$
best regards,
john
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

mycoleptodiscus
I'm New!

torque

Post by mycoleptodiscus » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:11 pm

The total was $140. They cut apart the converter, replaced some innards, welded a new flange on, welded the converter back together, pressure checked it, balanced it and painted it. Very nice job.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Great! That is a lot of work, for the money. Thanks for letting us know!
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: torque

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:20 am

mycoleptodiscus wrote:The total was $140. They cut apart the converter, replaced some innards, welded a new flange on, welded the converter back together, pressure checked it, balanced it and painted it. Very nice job.
Excellent. Let us know how it all works in the bus, and we will add them to our technical resource/vendor list.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:17 pm

The following repair I used to stop the leaking torque converter seal, due to a worn groove in the torque converter snout.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... rtGroup,33

Follow this link, and order the following part...BCA/NATIONAL Part # 99169 {1.647" x 1.654" x .563"}Redi-Sleeve; VW 003, 090 3 Spd. Automatic Transaxle.

This is the lowest cost for this repair sleeve I have found to date. I just completed this repair on my own bus (auto trans) and it worked perfect, no more leak. I have also used this stlye of repair sleeves on various other vechiles with perfect results. If you order this part now, you should have it in time for Colin's visit. I believe it shipped from back east, and It took about 5 days to get mine to Colorado, so plan ahead.

Here is how you fix you leaking auto tranny's input/torque converter seal. Before to start this, hold the sleeve next to your converter's snout to ensure that it will cover the grooved area.

1. order the repair sleeve
2. remove the engine ( I removed the fan shroud, oil fill pipe, and eng mount bar and just pulled the eng back enough to slip the torque converter out between the engine and tranny)
3. wipe the tranny fluid from the snout on the converter and the area around the snout.
4. clean the snout with carb/brake cleaner
5. cover the opening of the snout so the trans fluid is not contaminated by dust/dirt
6. clean the repair sleeve inside and outside with carb/brake cleaner
7. use a light coat of sealant on the outside surface of the converter's snout, and fill that nasty groove with the sealant as well (i used permatex pipe sealant)
9. apply a light coat of the sealant to the inside of the repair sleeve
10. place the repair sleeve on the snout and use the installation tool that comes with the reapir sleeve, and a hammer to press the sleeve onto the shaft.
11. let the sealant cure for a bit

There ya go. I know there are alot of steps, but I did mine in about 30 minutes.

Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'79 westy 2000 F.I.