Hard to shift into gear ...sometimes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: Hard to shift into gear ...sometimes

Post by cegammel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:11 pm

I am now in this boat...

My 1980 Vanagon's reverse gear has barked for about a year; now, it grinds mercilessly when I try to engage. For the first time today, first gear requires murderous effort to engage. The other gears work as they always have. Even with the engine off, reverse is hard to hit. First, however, works great with the engine off.

I'm going to try adjusting and lubricating tomorrow. If no improvement, I suppose the engine comes out for a complete clutch job?

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Cleaned and lubed the shifter rear to front, and it seems good for now. Reverse is still a little iffy, but worlds better.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 am

cegammel wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:11 pm

My 1980 Vanagon's reverse gear has barked for about a year; now, it grinds mercilessly when I try to engage. For the first time today, first gear requires murderous effort to engage.
For a year? You CAN'T do that! They don't make these transaxles any more. You have to make your transmission happy and shift as gently as you can at all times!

So, a lubricated shifter is great and all, but you must answer the key question here, is the clutch not releasing fully?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:07 pm

For the last while, reverse was troublesome only when cold...so I let it slide. How would I know about the clutch? It doesn't slip when underway...at least not that my gorilla self has noticed. I have about 13k on this clutch, but the front engine seal leaks a good bit.

I also need to do a complete front end job on this beast, so she may be drydocked for that work soon enough.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 pm

And now we are back to square one...with a broken belt....and no shifting into reverse or first. Dang.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 am

cegammel wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 pm
And now we are back to square one...with a broken belt....and no shifting into reverse or first. Dang.

Please note that slipping is on the opposite side of the continuum. Not releasing is when the clutch refuses to release the engine from the transmission, and it is hell on the transmission. With a Vanagon, you need to check the hydraulic system for a possible leak/air that makes the clutch unable to fully engage/thus release.
ColinItIsFunIsn'tIt?

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Oooooh....got it. It was a bit low on fluid. I replaced the rear cylinders and the clutch slave not too many miles back, so I was hoping I just hadn't filled it up all the way. Time to search out leaks...

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 am

I have to find the leak, but no more fluid lost in the last two weeks. I bled the clutch slave, and the pedal now engages much higher up. The pedal is nearly all the way out before the clutch begins to catch...is that how it should be? It no longer barks...yet, anyway.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 am

cegammel wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 am
I have to find the leak, but no more fluid lost in the last two weeks. I bled the clutch slave, and the pedal now engages much higher up. The pedal is nearly all the way out before the clutch begins to catch...is that how it should be? It no longer barks...yet, anyway.
Yes. The hydraulics are now efficiently decoupling the transmission from the engine.
BUT. If the clutch engages too close to the top, it is the usual symptom of a worn clutch disk.
ColinYayForRocksAndHardPlaces