Acute onset of warm 4th gear popping out…

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Acute onset of warm 4th gear popping out…

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:41 am

asiab3 wrote:
hambone wrote:I have been using a bungee for over a year now, oh the embarrassment. But I can't afford a $1500 trans right now.
It works but it's irritating.
I can't afford the trans either. But at the rate I drive equipment for work, combined with making a few "handyman" style calls around town, the new trans will pay for itself by the time it wears itself out next decade... :geek:

I won't use the bungee, because I refuse to wear the shift forks when it doesn't want to pop out of fourth. Hand-holding only for me, for now.

Bob, do you (or anybody else out there?) have a measurement of a stock bus shifter handle? Mine seems to be 3-4 inches shorter than my friend's '68. :scratch:

Robbie
Short shifter was lengthened 1 7/8" in 1970. How current buses are equipped is totally up the vagaries of fate. But at least now you know.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Acute onset of warm 4th gear popping out…

Post by asiab3 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:18 am

Do you remember "I don't THINK my shifter has that spring thingy, but I probably wasn't looking hard enough..."

Well I was looking hard enough; the old shifter had the pin staked in place with no movement. It was also 3.5" shorter than this beautiful old rusty VW shifter from Gunther's Backyard Swapmeet Tent. Did you know, that VW buses should have a shifter that puts first and second close to the driver, then third and fourth roughly centered in the car? My POS shifter always put first and second in the center of the car and third and fourth right next to the passengers' knees.

Of course you did, but I didn't until I drove Chloe...
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.