Clunk When Shifting Into Second

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Dubstar77
I'm New!

Clunk When Shifting Into Second

Post by Dubstar77 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi, I have a 1976 type 2 which had full gearbox rebuild 3 years ago due to 3rd gear crunching on each shift. Everything was fine after the rebuild but now it has developed a frustrating clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd. The clunk comes from the bottom of the gear shifter and doesn't sound like it is coming from the gearbox?

I have replaced the guide bush which the front shift rod runs through and noticed that the hole the guide bush fits into is slightly larger than the bush (there is some play). Could this be causing the clunk? Has anyone else had this? Is there anything that I could do to resolve this?

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

PS I have a Gene Berg shifter fitted?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Clunk When Shifting Into Second

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33 am

Dubstar77 wrote:Hi, I have a 1976 type 2 which had full gearbox rebuild 3 years ago due to 3rd gear crunching on each shift. Everything was fine after the rebuild but now it has developed a frustrating clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd. The clunk comes from the bottom of the gear shifter and doesn't sound like it is coming from the gearbox?

I have replaced the guide bush which the front shift rod runs through and noticed that the hole the guide bush fits into is slightly larger than the bush (there is some play). Could this be causing the clunk? Has anyone else had this? Is there anything that I could do to resolve this?

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

PS I have a Gene Berg shifter fitted?
Would you say that the clunk is emanating from the bottom of the Berg shifter? Glob some grease in the shift rod pocket where the shifter end goes. Let us know if that helps (there is a reason for that behavior).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Does the Berg shifter require a special stop plate? Or no stop plate? The only one I've seen required removal of the VW stop plate, but I know they make different models.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 pm

asiab3 wrote:Does the Berg shifter require a special stop plate? Or no stop plate? The only one I've seen required removal of the VW stop plate, but I know they make different models.
Stock VW shifters make a donk! in the shift rod pocket when you do a crisp shift. Bergs might do a clunk.
I wanted him to reply after greasing to see if it is now dampened.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 am

I was thinking this was similar to the clunk I got with a "quick/short shift kit" a while back, where the ball was no longer positioned in the "pipe bowl" correctly. I MSPainted this diagram to show what I mean, but it might not be possible with the difference in late bay setup now that I think about it.

I'm looking at the gap between the shift ball and socket in the middle figure:

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:38 am

asiab3 wrote:I was thinking this was similar to the clunk I got with a "quick/short shift kit" a while back, where the ball was no longer positioned in the "pipe bowl" correctly. I MSPainted this diagram to show what I mean, but it might not be possible with the difference in late bay setup now that I think about it.

I'm looking at the gap between the shift ball and socket in the middle figure:
If the aftermarket shifter has a "lock-out" for reverse with a finger trigger, then it may say delete the factory stop plate. If so, the ball should be naturally a little deeper into the pocket.

If the factory stop plate is being used, the space in the pocket is for the reverse push-down to get the shoulder under the stop plate gate.

Colin