transmission woes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

transmission woes

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:31 pm

'74 thing. After sitting for a couple of years I finally changed the transmission fluid. I figured out after that there must be an easier way than just tipping the bottles and trying to find the hole while not creating a nasty pool on the street. I'm guessing I should have a hose or something?
Real problem is the whine I have coming from what I figure is the transmission. Whines in first and second and maybe third. I'm reluctant to drive very fast as this is a neighbor street and the thing is unregistered/plated yet, altho it is insured. I'm just hoping for any wonderful suggestions other than getting a rebuild. Not real hopeful.
Thoughts?

Thanks

Joseph

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: transmission woes

Post by SlowLane » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:31 pm

mentalQtip wrote:'74 thing. After sitting for a couple of years I finally changed the transmission fluid. I figured out after that there must be an easier way than just tipping the bottles and trying to find the hole while not creating a nasty pool on the street. I'm guessing I should have a hose or something?
I found that a suction gun like this one worked pretty well. If you want to get fancy you could use an actual fluid transfer gun.
mentalQtip wrote: Real problem is the whine I have coming from what I figure is the transmission. Whines in first and second and maybe third. I'm reluctant to drive very fast as this is a neighbor street and the thing is unregistered/plated yet, altho it is insured. I'm just hoping for any wonderful suggestions other than getting a rebuild. Not real hopeful.
Thoughts?
Turn up the stereo? :geek: Sorry: not very helpful.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 am

Actually, I was wondering what usually makes a whine in a vw. Is a transmission known to whine? Differential? Cv joints? I just looked again and I have seriously torn axle boots. Likely culprit?

Joseph

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 am

You can use your grease-gun and fill the ripped boots with moly grease, better than nothing until you fix it...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:46 pm

mentalQtip wrote:Actually, I was wondering what usually makes a whine in a vw. Is a transmission known to whine? Differential? Cv joints? I just looked again and I have seriously torn axle boots. Likely culprit?

Joseph
VW transmissions went through a noisy lower gear era in the early-to-mid 70's.
They re-designed the synchros, the gear numbers (same ratios-more teeth) and who knows what else. If this whine sounds like worn out bearings, well, an overhaul would help prevent wearing out the gears themselves.
The Road Warrior's original transaxle was a real whiner/growler in 1st and 2nd, less in 3rd, not noticeable in 4th. My '73 Squareback has the growler lower gears too.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles