Another 101 transaxle thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Another 101 transaxle thread

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 pm

It would be an interesting experiment. Do you think they would self-destruct slowly or suddenly and grandly? You'd probably get some knocking before the whole works flew apart.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm going to run them. The wear on the odd one is only slightly worse than the other three, and all seem in pretty good shape all and all, especially compared to what I saw on the busses. Even the odd one isn't pitted, just worn. There weren't issues before, just wanted to repack and inspect while I had them off.

Economy led me to pick best four of eight used on the bus, until the transmission/engine change and I put new ones on. Best four had more wear than these.

Somehow I suspect it would be near on impossible for these to catastrophically destruct, just grind down.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I'm going to run them. The wear on the odd one is only slightly worse than the other three, and all seem in pretty good shape all and all, especially compared to what I saw on the busses. Even the odd one isn't pitted, just worn. There weren't issues before, just wanted to repack and inspect while I had them off.

Economy led me to pick best four of eight used on the bus, until the transmission/engine change and I put new ones on. Best four had more wear than these.

Somehow I suspect it would be near on impossible for these to catastrophically destruct, just grind down.

neal
The Road Warrior's CVs were an embarrassment of craters and pits and blue balls, yes, but they were clean and happy and well-greased too.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 am

i put empi complete axles on my bus a few years ago. they appeared to be rebuilt. grooves hogged out and bigger balls.
didn't ac-dc have something to say about big balls?

they seem to be holding up ok. only about 20k on em. maybe oughta do some maintenance on them and the wheel bearings, they were replaced about the same year.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.