What's the trick?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

What's the trick?

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:02 pm

I must be missing something. Trying to get the rear drive shaft seal out of the transmission case. Not having any luck. Sucker is in there tight.

And what kind of sealant should I use on the outside of the new seal?

annoyed
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: What's the trick?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 am

ruckman101 wrote:I must be missing something. Trying to get the rear drive shaft seal out of the transmission case. Not having any luck. Sucker is in there tight.

And what kind of sealant should I use on the outside of the new seal?

annoyed
neal
I don't know what the "rear driveshaft seal" is. I am going to guess you might be talking about the
CV drive flange with the side cover seal? There is no "rear driveshaft", dammit. There is an INPUT shaft at the rear of the transaxle. So anyways, now that we are both annoyed (I am giving you fuel to prevail), go read my differential side seal replacement sticky in the transaxle foru. . . we're already here in the transaxle forum, there is NO WAY you would be talking about that seal, not after just reading my procedure, what the hell seal are you talking about?
Colin :dink:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 am

Input shaft I'd wager.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm

hambone wrote:Input shaft I'd wager.
You know, I saw him taking about the side cover seal in another thread, Hammie. I wonder if he is going to avoid this one now . . .
Colin :rabbit:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

The Bentley calls it the rear driveshaft seal. I added an extra space. Drive shaft. Methinks "input shaft" might be referencing the same part. I'm battling the stubborn seal on it in the transmission case. This is the shaft that is splined on the transmission, that mates to the clutch plate on the engine. The seal is behind the throw out bearing. I had to take off the "sleeve' to get to it. I think the sleeve was a '71 addition. Having the wrong style pressure plate, for a '70 style transmission without the sleeve, did me in on the bus, snapping a corner off the bell housing.

Maybe I should do the side seals, too, just be be refreshed all the way around on this used transaxle going into Gretchen Ghia.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:45 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The Bentley calls it the rear driveshaft seal. I added an extra space. Drive shaft. Methinks "input shaft" might be referencing the same part. I'm battling the stubborn seal on it in the transmission case. This is the shaft that is splined on the transmission, that mates to the clutch plate on the engine. The seal is behind the throw out bearing. I had to take off the "sleeve' to get to it. I think the sleeve was a '71 addition. Having the wrong style pressure plate, for a '70 style transmission without the sleeve, did me in on the bus, snapping a corner off the bell housing.

Maybe I should do the side seals, too, just be be refreshed all the way around on this used transaxle going into Gretchen Ghia.

neal
I already told Bentley to go to hell once. Let's try again. So, did you get the input shaft out finally? It can be tricky. Gretchen Ghia has the fully independent rear suspension? I guess she would, if I knew what year she was, 1970-71? She survive basketball season?
Colin

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 pm

She survive basketball season?

Spit take....snort
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Well the driver's side wiper is laying limp on the hood a bit. Haven't assessed it yet. Gretchen dates from 1970, but the transmission has a guide sleeve so dates from 1971. Heading to Sublimity today for a week with me Mum, so all is on hold until uhm, not sure. Next week I suspect. Input shaft seal still stubbornly in place. Loutish efforts have been giving me loutish results lately, so haven't gotten all primitive on it. Yet.

neal