Shifter Issues Redux

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Shifter Issues Redux

Post by thesamwise4 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Hate to post another shift issue so soon after Sluggo's, but, well, here we are.

Here's my situation. I bought the bus last year and the shifting has always been really sloppy. I read a lot about shifter issues on this site and another one and did some diagnosis. It seemed to be that the coupler was getting soft and the bushings were worn down. All parts seemed to be original.

I pulled the engine and replaced the bushings, replaced the coupler, and reinstalled. I greased all sliding parts as best I could.

Diagnosing this situation is complicated by the fact that I also installed a new shifter (Gene Berg) to replace the EMPI one that was in there when I bought it. I have the old shifter and could throw it on if that would help at all.

When I got everything back together, the shifting was really, really, really tight. I can get it to move through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, but it takes too much effort--I'm a little worried I might break the shifter, which is why I can't bring myself to search too hard for reverse.

I don't know if the answer to my question will be the same as the one that Colin just gave to Sluggo, but if that's the case, please just say so--I can try to run those tests firsts. The problem is not that I can't find gears, but that it takes too much effort to move the linkage.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, and take care.
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Shifter Issues Redux

Post by hambone » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Your new shifter is suspect. Try the old one, or go back to stock.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 am

thesamwise4 wrote: I pulled the engine and replaced the bushings,
Including the rear shift rod bushings? Those badminton looking things? The ones that are so poorly made you can't get the divots to go in the holes of the shift rod, thus making them too expanded? The original bushings are superior and in most cases last the life of the car.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Including the rear shift rod bushings?
Thems the ones. The existing shuttlecocky thing was browning and really soft.

I will do my best to take a look and see if it's jamming in there (my neck is unhappy just thinking about that angle). I was able to get the little pegs to fit in, but I certainly see your point.

Hambone wrote:Your new shifter is suspect. Try the old one, or go back to stock.
I will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will report back when I can find a little time to get a look at it.
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern