So whats right and wrong ?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:47 pm

bottomend wrote:It would be amazing if some of those people could help YOU when/if you ever have to drop your engine!
That is a community code I have always liked in the snow belt. It is not an option to not help a stranded motorist on a cold night.
I had a most annoying boyfriend-of-neighbor's-daughter knock on my door one late night,
"umm, (sniff sniff) sorry man, but could you like help me
(sniff cough) get my piece of crap unstuck, I really got to get home,
I am not supposed to be here in the first place
my dad is going to kill me (shirt sleeve nose blow)
I'll pay you if you want. . ."

It was a very easy extrication to rock his beater Regal from R to D
a few well-timed times, and crawl back to my warm bed after his excruciating gratitude,
"thanks man, I sure do really appreciate it, if there's anything I can do
for you, this really helps man, I'm sorry to bother you and everything guess I'll go now, thanks a lot man, you're the best, how's your work? You got home real late, didn't mean to bother you. . . "

What a great pleasure it was to accidentally back up my work van
into a snow pile in the dark at the beginning of a late night
emergency call, and find him oozing quietly out the door of my
neighbor's house.
"HEY ERIC BOY AM I GLAD TO SEE YOU!"
With a pained look of chilled distaste he slowly grasped that he
wasn't getting off the property without some major exertion to help
yank my pig Dodge van free. With a splatter of dirt and snow up his
coat from the spinning tire that finally found traction, he had to endure my profuse gratitude as he longingly looked at his escape vehicle
". . . . and how is your Regal running? It sure is a trouper getting you here to visit L on these below-zero nights! Didn't mean to bother you. . ."
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:38 pm

hehe...funny !
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:51 pm

It's a sad truth that the longer we inhabit this planet the less time we seem to have for it's in habitants...

Maybe it's the co-dependant/nurturer in me but, I like to help others.

Happy new year to "us".

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:34 am

It is really obvious that us woman don,t hold a candle to your abilities and strength but maybe can injoy the trip by preperation.
I got me a sister that is a diesel mechanic that can wrench circles around most men I know.
Got another sister that can foal a mare, buck hay, and makes a mean bean dip.

Here's one of the things my daughter just had to have this Christmas. She's 6

Love the wrench and sandals.

My point. Don't really have one, other than I just had to show off my daughter's action figure. (That's my girl!)

That and to say to not sell yourself, or your community, short.

Preparedness is as important as troubleshooting/diagnostics as mechanical skill as good humor as a good cup of hot joe on a cold morning. Each having more or less value depending on the circumstances.

If having a new engine will make the trip more enjoyable (because of the less fretting factor) and you have the means then, by jove, put 'er in there.
If having the reserve funds available for the trip's potential "bumps in the road" is important, then the new engine might wait for another time.

Don't let it be because you don't want to "rely on too much help".

To have a need that can be filled by another is not necessarily "dependance", rather it is community involvement. Sure, that part of the involvement is recieving from another. The act of accepting doesn't necessarily "oblige" you to give back, but I'll bet you will want to give back in some way that is suited to your being. You will give assistance when needed and the cycle will continue.

I am as independant as I can be without being a cave dwelling hermit, and I am resistant to be obliged for anything. I also see the value in being helped and being the helper. They are both defined by the intent of each other. They are both integral to community.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 am

What he said =D>