So whats right and wrong ?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

So whats right and wrong ?

Post by Elwood » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Been thinking about ordering a "turnkey" engine from Serrano or the like that advertize on TS for my '69. Just to be confidant that it is solid for Arctic trip. What do you think?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:33 am

Serrano gets good reviews on TS. Chico Performance Racing aka steelbuggin gets better reviews and is highly regarded by Jake Raby, Don't let the Raby part turn you off, he does have a somewhat grating personality but he is held in the highest regard in the type IV world. I'm biased because the 2275 Type 1 long block in my buggy was was built by Chico. I'm very happy with it. Just saying ya oughta check out Chico and and Serrano's buyer/seller feedback over on TS

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: So whats right and wrong ?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Elwood wrote:Been thinking about ordering a "turnkey" engine from Serrano or the like that advertize on TS for my '69. Just to be confidant that it is solid for Arctic trip. What do you think?
Do you not trust your engine?
Who can say with any certainty that a turnkey will be more reliable?
For example: does Serrano magnaflux each rod? For real? If not, it could have a secret metallurgical failure just as much as your current engine.
I am going to have my current engine's longblock on standby as a ship-to-fix option if my new engine does anything embarrassing.

Have a longblock on standby if you like, but I would use what you have in Elwood as a sign of respect and trust in him. If your current engine passes all of the usual tests like compression readings good power no leaks and runs cool, by all means enjoy.
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 pm

Thanks Bill, And I have exchanged PM's with Jake a couple yrs ago. He was very helpfull to refer me to a place closer to me and said to tell them Jake sent me. I may do that. Was just looking at the ads on TS yesterday and needed some winter day thinking input.

Colin you are right about having faith in Elwood and I will do all the testing , just to darn cold to get to it now. I will need a engine for Jake at some point and the one that came with him is a duel port with a mustach bar on it?? Got some thinking to do as to how to have a back up for the Arctic. Those turnkeys just look so shiny :flower: Must be the chick in me.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:31 pm

Elwood wrote: just to darn cold to get to it now.
*DurocShark chuckles and looks at Denver's weather forecast (blizzard #2)

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:09 pm

Shark you sure have had the weather but it has been snowing and hailing all day today here on San Jacinto. I would have to call for a private snowplow to get my bus out to the road. And I don,t need to, so I just will go burrrr :clock: I don,t think winter is my thang.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:54 pm

I don't mind the cold. And I love snow. I just can't work on the bus laying in a pile of the stuff.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:42 pm

DurocShark wrote:I don't mind the cold. And I love snow. I just can't work on the bus laying in a pile of the stuff.
Wuss.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:55 am

I just love it when the melting snow and slush is dropping in my face. I love it when my fingers are sting so bad I want to scream. I love it when the cold water from the stuff melting on my face run down my neck into my clothes. I love it when my wet clothes start to stiffen up as the temp drops. I especially love start that blind nut with numb fingers. I love how easily my flesh tears off my knuckles when it is half frozen. It just makes me feel so..so ---ALIVE!

Not! I'll do it when I have to but not a moment sooner when the temps drop below freezing.

Bill

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:04 am

chitwnvw wrote:
DurocShark wrote:I don't mind the cold. And I love snow. I just can't work on the bus laying in a pile of the stuff.
Wuss.
Hey, I swapped a distributor yesterday in the blizzard. Just CHOOSING not to work in the snow if it's avoidable.

(I should have said "Don't wanna" instead of "Can't".)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:45 am

vdubyah73 wrote: It just makes me feel so..so ---ALIVE!
Not!
Cain't beat a good cold snap and automotive emergency.
Blizzard of '91, Cheyenne Wyoming, 43* below 0, and the state troopers were demanding that we install chains for the next segment.

My fingers would freeze in a minute flat, back to the dash vents to thaw out, then another go at the chains, then back to the dash vents to thaw out. Finally latched the stupid things and took off. Thwackthwackthwackthwack, there's a damn link failure and it is flogging the right rear control arm on the Vanagon, near the brake line too. Tried to unlatch them by the side of the road and the latches are bent and iced up, and my fingers were just these numb stumps and my girlfriend is crying in the back seat because she is convinced we are going to die frozen and alone out there. Ah life!
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:17 pm

Ok You guys - I have done many needed repairs in crummy weather and conditions to keep on the road and will do if needed. But Im tring to be smart and prepared for the Arctic trip and not rely on too much help, if any. It is really obvious that us woman don,t hold a candle to your abilities and strength but maybe can injoy the trip by preperation.

I did call a snow plow to clear my drive ($60.00) this was after I tried to break down the frozen burm with a steel snow shovel and axe and needed to get somewhere important. I just needed the help, is that so wrong?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:57 am

Elwood wrote:Ok You guys - I have done many needed repairs in crummy weather and conditions to keep on the road and will do if needed. But Im tring to be smart and prepared for the Arctic trip and not rely on too much help, if any. It is really obvious that us woman don,t hold a candle to your abilities and strength but maybe can injoy the trip by preperation.

I did call a snow plow to clear my drive ($60.00) this was after I tried to break down the frozen burm with a steel snow shovel and axe and needed to get somewhere important. I just needed the help, is that so wrong?
Hell no, it's not wrong, I plow snow every snow storm, for the DPW I work for. I pay someone to plow my driveway. If a new engine from a reputable builder will give you peace of mind, go ahead do it. I think it would suck, being thousands of miles from home, stressing about the million and one things that can go wrong with a tired old engine. One way to do it that I myself do, is buy a longblock and assemble it into a turn key yourself. Reuse most of the stuff from your old engine and replace with new or rebuilt wear items while in there. You know, alt, voltage regulator, rebuild carb(s) or FI stuff etc.... The added benefit is you become increasingly familiar with your engine and all it's accessories.

Bill

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:04 am

For Xmas I gave a bunch of my neighbors (one single mom and 4 sets of seniors) the gift of shovelling their cars out and clearing their walkways. In addition to shovelling the 120ft of walkway in front of my apartment and my 2 cars.

I did it in the middle of Xmas eve night. Yet somehow they found out who did it. Because my wife called me the next day saying strange people were bringing me food. LOL!

Anyway, next year I'm buying a friggin snow thrower. None of this shovelling crap anymore. My back STILL hurts.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:46 am

It would be amazing if some of those people could help YOU when/if you ever have to drop your engine!